K-Tec

Meade to acquire Coronado Technology Group

More
19 years 6 months ago #5251 by ei5fk

Yep, it's good news alright.
H-alpha scopes should become cheaper from now on.

I only wish, that might be the case for the rest of the world but here in Ireland, can you see it, PST sells for €2000 at a "well known Dublin shop"
as for the $12000 instrument, Michael how about 25000 Euro
Of course we could import direct as the dollar is 1.26 to the euro as we speak
Charles

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 6 months ago #5252 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Meade to acquire Coronado Technology Group
Charles,
I think most people have enough sense to see through the shameful prices charged in a certain Dublin telescope shop, which likes to let on it's an amateur club.
I know that Andromeda Optics sells the PST for about 750ish, which, considering the high VAT we have to pay in this country and shipping costs etc isn't all that bad. Personally, if I wanted to buy it, I'd get it from the US direct myself so as to ensure I'd get it at the lowest possible price. As you said, the exchange rate is very good at the moment. However, if anything did go wrong, I'd be in trouble. At least getting it from the lads in Andromeda Optics you'd have that certain level of reassurance.

More
19 years 6 months ago #5253 by spculleton
Replied by spculleton on topic Re: Meade to acquire Coronado Technology Group
I thought Andromeda were the authorised Coronado dealers in Ireland? I didn't realise that the Astronomy & Space shop dealt in H Alpha at all. Now that I know I can persuade my bank manager to give me another car loan so I can buy a PST at a 175% mark-up! Cool!

Shane Culleton.

Dozo Yoroshiku Onegai Shimasu

• gnason
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
19 years 6 months ago #5254 by gnason

Charles,
I think most people have enough sense to see through the shameful prices charged in a certain Dublin telescope shop, which likes to let on it's an amateur club.
I know that Andromeda Optics sells the PST for about 750ish, which, considering the high VAT we have to pay in this country and shipping costs etc isn't all that bad. Personally, if I wanted to buy it, I'd get it from the US direct myself so as to ensure I'd get it at the lowest possible price. As you said, the exchange rate is very good at the moment. However, if anything did go wrong, I'd be in trouble. At least getting it from the lads in Andromeda Optics you'd have that certain level of reassurance.

Michael,

I seem to recall a price of €795 being quoted to me at the WSP. It's only $499 in the US so probably $700 to include taxes and shipping (unless you know someone who can bring one over as hand luggage).

Gordon

Gordon

• gnason
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
19 years 6 months ago #5255 by gnason

I thought Andromeda were the authorised Coronado dealers in Ireland? I didn't realise that the Astronomy & Space shop dealt in H Alpha at all. Now that I know I can persuade my bank manager to give me another car loan so I can buy a PST at a 175% mark-up! Cool!

Shane,

Andromeda Optics is the only dealer selling H Alpha solar filters in Ireland, unless North Down telescopes also supply them.

Gordon

• gnason
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
19 years 6 months ago #5256 by gnason

However, it might mean lower prices on these H-A filters and scopes, as Meade can do the economies of scale thing... 8)

On the point of patents, I can't find a single patent owned by Coronado. Possibly some employees own personal patents, which would be negotiated separately, in which case Meade bought the non patented designs / technology and the brand name.
~Al

Al,

Perhaps it will mean lower prices at the higher end of the range but it may prove difficult to get lower than $499 for a solar telescope at the bottom end?

Incidentally, I understand David Lunt and Geraldine Hogan are staying on as paid consultants for one year commencing 1st January 2005 and Jordan Frazier is staying on as General Manager.

Gordon

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds