K-Tec

aurora

More
19 years 6 months ago #5679 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: aurora
nope, you weren't seeing things :)

one of the guys in England on the Society for Popular Astronomy forum saw some aurorae around the same time as John H. . . .

Brian Seales saw some from Malahide earlier in the night -- I was on my way over from Clonskeagh but it took an hour-and-a-half to drive three miles 'cause of traffic :cry: . . . gave up and went home. Lots of cloud anyway though Brian had clear spells.

another sunspot the far side of the Sun according to spaceweather.com, which might be reasonably big.

John
SDAS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 6 months ago #5680 by stepryan
Replied by stepryan on topic Re: aurora

nope, you weren't seeing things :)

one of the guys in England on the Society for Popular Astronomy forum saw some aurorae around the same time as John H. . . .

Brian Seales saw some from Malahide earlier in the night -- I was on my way over from Clonskeagh but it took an hour-and-a-half to drive three miles 'cause of traffic :cry: . . . gave up and went home. Lots of cloud anyway though Brian had clear spells.

another sunspot the far side of the Sun according to spaceweather.com, which might be reasonably big.

John
SDAS

i thought yesterday evening when i was coming home from work at about 6pm that i thought there might have been an aurora in the south sky and also to the north east. it just looked grey to me in finglas. it was definitely not cloud as it was stationary and not like the clouds as they were glowing orange from aurora dublin. it definitely looked like the aurora i have seen in the past, but seeing that there were no reports(here anway) last night i thought it might have been just high cloud.
stephen.

More
19 years 6 months ago #5698 by Genisis
Replied by Genisis on topic Re: aurora
Did not see any activity at all here in Galway last night even though we travelled to Clifden , Conemara, which must be one of the darkest places in Ireland, but even in clear spells could not make out anything remotely near to an aurora.

Ronan Newman

Galway astronomy Club

Ps ive changed my username to GENISIS , i was at an IFAS meeting last year and someone from the east complained tha tthe name was stupid, So there u go

More
19 years 6 months ago #5704 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: aurora
I am sick with the way it was clear coming up to 6pm, then it got cloudy, then it started drizzling alllll night.... Last Sunday night... Last Monday night... Last night... in fact, only Tuesday was the only clear night, and I saw feck-all of an aurora!!

Drizzle tonight now...

:(

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
19 years 6 months ago #5707 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: aurora
I know the feeling!!
As soon as I got home from work I got my scope and gear out, went inside for my dinner an when finished it was cloudy and remained like that for the night! Sickening! :x

More
19 years 6 months ago #5708 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: aurora
The weather is a real annoyance , to put it verrry politely.
Maybe Friday will be clear, the weather forecast does look better for that night.
As for last night, I dont know, I wonder was the cloud cover very low, if so this might account for the unusually bright skyglow ?!?
Its hard to imagine any aurora lighting up clouds over a city, I think I let my enthusiam get the better of me. :?

Albert, be carefull, some of those images on the ilpac site might actually appeal to some people, they might even be considered artistic :wink: :wink:

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds