K-Tec

aurora

More
19 years 5 months ago #5635 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: aurora

Nada in Limerick. :cry:

Nothing in Wicklow either. Though John Flannery did tell me he had seen some green earlier.

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 5 months ago #5636 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: aurora
Bt=41.1nT, Bz=+38.1nT (North)

night night!

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
19 years 5 months ago #5637 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: aurora
Hi All,
Just back from a little drive into county clare to get away from the Limerick lights
There was a faint but noticible brightness on the northern horison below the plough and to the west of it also.
It looked like the kind of glow you'd get at midnight in July at the northern horison but fainter.
Put the camera on it and suddenly you could see that there was a green belt stretching across the horison with a red glow above it.
The naked eye couldn't see any colour but the camera got it easily, I';ll put a pick here tomorrow.
To be honest, if I was in a car driving, there is no way I would have noticed it, nor could I see it in the city, it was very faint.
Times were between 23.30 and 00.20...

Ronan, thanks for the text regarding the aurora a few night ago. :)

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
19 years 5 months ago #5638 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: aurora
Decided to take a detour into the country on my way home from work (at about 00:50) and WOW .... saw some pretty amazing stuff!

There were tw bright and very obviously deep read areas on thehorizon, one to the NW and one to the NE, joining these two areas was a rapidly mving white band that came and went in the space of seconds. Somethimes it was so bright it blotted out all the stars it passed infront of, sometimes it was all but invisible. It changed reallt really rapidly, sometimes it was straight but at other times it was like something straight from a film, literally a snaking curtain of white just wiggeling from side to side directly over head!

This is only the second Aroura I've seen and the contast between this and the last one I saw, November 2003 I beleive, could not have been more stark. Last year the Araura was almost totally stationary but had really vivid greens reds and blues, this time alomost no colour (except on the horizon) but jsut constant and rapid movement.

Anyhow, I was really grumpy coming home from work at 1am when I had been in at 11am but I'm now happy I stayed late!

Night all!

Bart.
(Maynooth)

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
19 years 5 months ago #5639 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: aurora
current storm in progress (daylight here unfortunately :()

another display tonight???

John

More
19 years 5 months ago #5640 by orions neb
Replied by orions neb on topic Re: aurora
Good Morning to you all :)

Last night here in co clare was clear of cloud, so I got the chance to see the aurora and it was the first time I ever seen this. And I wasn’t disappointed with it, I saw what seemed like green narrow bands shimmering across the sky and sometimes it seem to brighten now and again other than that it was faint.

I stood there for a couple of hours just watching this, it was hypnotizing to me because of it being my first time seeing it. Amazing stuff…..also seen meteors which was a bonus all this happened about 11.30pm and ended for me at 2.30am the clouds rolled in and spoilt the rest of my evening.

I had other things planned but as usual the weather decides what you can or not do. Well that’s my report for clare…… I hope you all had good skies also.

Its been a good evening :)

All the best
Orions neb

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds