K-Tec

Saturn

More
19 years 5 months ago #6731 by Lexi
Saturn was created by Lexi
Hi,

Could someone please tell me the best time to view Saturn, :cry: I managed to find it this evening but appears very small :| I can just make it out that it is definately saturn Is there any way I'll see it bigger??

What lens mag is best to use?

Cheers

"Shoot for the moon. If you miss, you'll land in the stars." --Les Brown

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 5 months ago #6734 by markdj
Replied by markdj on topic Re: Saturn
Saturn does not vary in size over one night, but it does vary in brightness depending on how high it is from the horizon. Saturn currently transits (reaches maximum height) at around 3am but you can start getting good views anytime after 10pm.

Depending on the size of your telescope, you will need to let it cool down outside for around 15minutes before the heat inside is equalised with the outside temperature, otherwise your view will be boiling. Another atmospheric effect is the wind and particles in the air which will make high magnification objects "swim" like looking through water.

The maximum magnification usuable on any telescope is approximately twice the diameter of the front lens. So if your aperture is 70mm then your maximum magnification would be 140x so an eyepiece of 140/70=2mm could be used or a 4mm with a 2x barlow. If you want higher magnification then you will need a bigger telescope. filters may help to bring out various detail but these will reduce the brightness of an already dim subject (due to using high magnification).

Clear Skies

MarkDJ

More
19 years 5 months ago #6761 by Lexi
Replied by Lexi on topic Re: Saturn
Well just tired looking at Saturn again, I left my scope out for 15mins to cool it down and tired looking through both a 6.5mm and 4mm Pl lens both with and without the x2 barlow and still Saturn is tiny..... I must be doing something else wrong? :cry:

The scope I'm using is the "Sky-Lux" from Lidl and I managed to invest in a couple of Possl eyepieces.....

Any advice ANYONE? I'm beginning to feel a little disheartened, are you eyes meant to feel all blurry and sore after looking into those tiny holes on them lenes??? :!:

"Shoot for the moon. If you miss, you'll land in the stars." --Les Brown

More
19 years 5 months ago #6763 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Saturn

I'm beginning to feel a little disheartened, are you eyes meant to feel all blurry and sore after looking into those tiny holes on them lenes??? :!:

Don't be disheartened Lexi - it is, afterall, a small scope!

I bought Celestron Plossl eyepieces to use, and even down to my 4mm, I can see a definite shape to Saturn. But, as was mentioned before, if the air is not as clear as it could be, then you will loose out.

Wait till after 11pm, when its higher.

What I would also suggest is to take your time! A good point about the Observing Challenges (slight plug here...) is that it encourages the observer to such a technique - you will actually see more than your casual 10 or 20 second glance. I also recommend staying outside with your refractor during this cooling down phase (and even increase that to about 20/25 minutes). Your eyes will get accustomed to the dark, and the cold air, that by the time you start looking at high magnifications, they are adapted to such, and water less!

And, ever hear of the averted vision technique?

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
19 years 5 months ago #6764 by John OBrien
Replied by John OBrien on topic Re: Saturn

And, ever hear of the averted vision technique?

Seanie.

That's what I use for Lexi's text :wink:

"We are the music makers ... and we are the dreamers of dreams." - W.W.

More
19 years 5 months ago #6769 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Saturn
Hi Lexi,
This is what I feared might happen, unfortunately I suspect that there is nothing wrong with your scope, if you think you're going to see anything like the picture Dave Gradwell put up in another post through the likes of the Skylux or the ETX70, then you're in for a surprise..

This is why I wish everyone who is going to buy a scope tries to have a look through other scopes before their purchase, so that they know what to expect and dont have unrealistic expections.
I took an image of saturn through the ETX70, I can imagine the view througfh the Skylux is very similar.

http://www.irishastronomy.org/user_resources/files/1101635280-sat3.bmp
www.irishastronomy.org/user_resources/files/1101635280-sat3.bmp
This pic is about all youre going to see through either of these scopes of Saturn, a globe with rings around it. The cassini division was very fleeting.

I dont mean to disharten you, but that is the reality with these scopes.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds