K-Tec

The Weather for the 09 Eclipse

More
14 years 9 months ago #79736 by Greenflashman
Replied by Greenflashman on topic Re:The Weather for the 09 Eclipse
The Ecliptomaniacs, along with a group of Swedish and English eclipse chasers are in Sizhou to the west of Shanghai and are keeping their fingers crossed for a clear sky tomorrow morning at least. It doesn't look too good at the moment cloud wise. It's all down to luck now.
Best wishes to all eclipse chasers for the big day from those who couldn't make it this time.
Brian

"There is a theory that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. Another theory states that this has already happened."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 9 months ago #79738 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re:The Weather for the 09 Eclipse
Brian,

I am 180 km southwest of you in Hangzhou and it is also very cloudy. All of this is supposed to clear overnight supposedly for my area.

As late as yesterday, predictions were for heavy rains and which never materialized and this forecast has been consistent the past few days. Let's hope it remains to be off-base and or at least a few minutes centered on the midpoint of totality.

Best of luck to all of those concerned, for we are quite well under 12 hrs away from the main event.

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
14 years 9 months ago #79764 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re:The Weather for the 09 Eclipse
Well, we were greeted with heavy rain, thunder and lightning this morning. However it stopped raining but cloud remained as the eclipse approached. We caught fleeting glimpses of the sun between 1st and 2nd contact. However totality was completely clouded out. Went very very dark, much darker than in turkey or Russia because of the cloud cover. Thousands of people at this site 30deg 24.19n 120deg 32.173E. The site was located at a tidal bore where we saw the tidal surge a couple of hours after the eclipse which was cool ( 2m high wave surging up the river) - not enough to balance the loss of missing a clear sky for totality though. Fireworks went off during totality. 20mins after totality and the sky cleared. What a difference a few minutes can make!

More
14 years 9 months ago #79765 by Greenflashman
Replied by Greenflashman on topic Re:The Weather for the 09 Eclipse
Well the weather was so bad in China that the Ecliptomaniacs saw nothing. They even had time to ring me just before Totality! (I was here in Dublin) They were near Suzhou, north of the centreline and along with many thousands of others and probably millions across China and India are bitterly disappointed with the weather. I know the prospects were never good for this eclipse but most mornings for the last week have been clear over this area of China. Sometimes the weather gods don't play ball!
They were situated beside a giant statue of a smiling Buddha and there was one comment which raised a smile, a rare thing on such a dismal morning.
"Now I know what that ****er is smiling at"!

So I am afraid only touristy photos this time around.
Regard,
Brian

"There is a theory that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. Another theory states that this has already happened."

More
14 years 9 months ago #79770 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re:The Weather for the 09 Eclipse
yea, that reminds me of the 1999 eclipse when we were in Paris for the week, great weather in the days before and after it, but hailing on the day itself.
Bummer.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds