K-Tec

Getting Broadband

More
19 years 3 months ago #8488 by James Butler
Replied by James Butler on topic Re: Getting Broadband
<RANT>

Celtic Tiger, my big black hole!

I wouldn't be surprised if some old biddy is still connecting me to my ISP via a switchboard.

Digiweb is my only alternative. At least E1000 to buy the dish and connect and then E85 a month.

And then some crows would cr*p all over it.

Has Bertie A. ever travelled outside The Pale?

</RANT>

James Butler

Astronomy Diary - astronomy-diary.blogspot.com/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 3 months ago #8490 by gnason
Replied by gnason on topic Re: Getting Broadband

I've have Esat and think its great. Sign up for the free 3 month offer and test it. You can give it back if its not what you want. No wiring involved its simple to install. If you decide to take it up you get another month free. Change your phone account and the cost for broadband goes down and the modem is free.On the wireless broadband I could be wrong but I think you'll need a line of sight to the watertower in Summerville Ave. to pick it up :?Conor

As an existing EsatBT customer, I signed up for EsatBT broadband on the 6th December and still haven't been connected. Got the modem during the week but seemingly there's a problem with the Eircom gateway (I switched line rental from Eircom to EsatBT at the same time and that is causing problems). Hopefully, it will be sorted out soon but in the meantime, I'm back to 56k

Gordon

More
19 years 3 months ago #8492 by ctr
Replied by ctr on topic Re: Getting Broadband
Gordon

Thats a pity.

All I can say is that I've had no problems. My line rental is with Greencom and again no problems.

Hope you get this sorted soon.

Conor

Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver

More
19 years 3 months ago #8493 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Getting Broadband

<RANT>

Celtic Tiger, my big black hole!

I wouldn't be surprised if some old biddy is still connecting me to my ISP via a switchboard.

Digiweb is my only alternative. At least E1000 to buy the dish and connect and then E85 a month.

And then some crows would cr*p all over it.

Has Bertie A. ever travelled outside The Pale?

</RANT>

James,
Thats what you get for living in rural west kerry :wink:

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
19 years 3 months ago #8495 by Bill_H
Replied by Bill_H on topic Re: Getting Broadband
Hi, I've been trying to get broadband for a looooong time now. We can't get conventional broadband, so I'm limited to the others, satelite, wireless etc. satelite seems to be a major rip-off with horrendous prices for equipment, installation and service, really way out of the pocket of the working person. It's a no-go on that score! Wireless seems to be a real cheaper alternative, but masts seem to be few and far between, and you need direct sight. Oh if only they would put up the masts at the same rate as mobile phone masts (can't they share the same technoogy?). Looks like I'm left with one-way-satelite, but still the equipment is a bit of a rip-off. you can pay up to €500 for a modem and up to €49 per month for one-way service, but at least it's an alternative, I think you can now find a modem for around €300. Currently I'm subscribed to OnSpeed. Gives me up to ten times the speeed on my current dial-up and costs €39.95 per year. Works by stripping information out of files and sending it to you, which means pictures are crap, but you can request the original at the right-click of your mouse. After all, how much of that crap do you really pay attention to when surfing, you only need all the info when you get to the site that interests you. The written word isn't affected, only a "blockiness" in the pictures, but it's soooo fast. you can adjust it between speed/quality, it's quite versatile. It will keep me going for a while until suppliers get more real with their satelite broadband prices, and if they don't, I'm happy with OnSpeed. By the way, OnSpeed claim they can speed up your broadband connection by up to 3X, it should also speed up firefox as well.
Bill H.

Astronomers do it with the lights off.

More
19 years 3 months ago #8498 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Getting Broadband
my 2 cents...

I signed up with Esat just over a year ago. It took several months to get broadband actually installed and working, and that required mailing some people in Esat directly complaining.

However since it's been set up its worked perfectly.

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds