K-Tec

Perseid Night

More
13 years 8 months ago #85708 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:Perseid Night
It looks like it will clear for a lot of places tonight :) I was out on tuesday night, and as you say Neill, there were some top class meteors, the milkyway was superb, and jupiter was so bright, it had a halo around it!!

Keith...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 8 months ago - 13 years 8 months ago #85715 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re:Perseid Night
Awesome night tonight for Perseids! Had some friends over for a late evening barbecue so we all stayed outside as darkness grew. We lost count of the amount of satellites up there. We were treated to a nice display of Perseids and sporadic meteors. In about 2 hours of viewing from darkness till around 23:40hrs, I'd estimate (between 6 of us) around 12 Perseids and 4 sporadics from a suburban backyard with limited skies due to trees and buildings. Some bright i.e.>Mag -2 meteors occured.

Also enjoyed the Milky Way, got the green laser pointer out for a few demonstrations of how to find and identify some constellations, as we all saw 3 Galilean moon around Jupiter in my 10 X 50 binos (1 left, 2 right of Old Jove).

Then 2 of them complained about the cold so we took our beers indoors... amateurs! :-)

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.
Last edit: 13 years 8 months ago by Seanie_Morris.

More
13 years 8 months ago #85726 by nectarine
Replied by nectarine on topic Re:Perseid Night
Sounds like you had a good night Seanie.
DAS did their first ever camping night on Friday and it was a great night. The sky cleared nicely from 10pm and we had great views of the Milky Way - saw loads of Perseids & quite a few sporadics: we had a couple of scopes there so got to see Jupiter's moons and Joner showed us the Veil Nebula which was a lovely sight. Finally got to bed at 2.45am - really fun night....

Bernie Foley
IFAS Treasurer

More
13 years 8 months ago #85730 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re:Perseid Night
The last 2 nights have been fabulous. !!
Many meteors, especially after midnight with some really bright ones with trails, Also had a look at Jupiter and scanned the milky way through cygnus with binoculars,
Best Perseids for me in over 15 years... must be a good omen :)

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds