K-Tec

Sir Patrick Moore's Irish UFO film identified

• mjc
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
13 years 8 months ago #85739 by mjc
Apparently Sir Patrick Moore has appeared in a scifi movie made in Ireland in the 1950's and doesn't reacall being a participant (I'm sure that's okay).

"Them and the Thing" was filmed in the mid 1950's in Ireland about three years before the first sky at night programme.

"Them and the Thing will be shown at the Irish Film Institute in Dublin on 21 August, as part of its Archive Home Movie Heritage festival."

More details:
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-10985156

Bless the man - I don't have an ill word to say about
him.

Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 8 months ago #85743 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re:Sir Patrick Moore's Irish UFO film identified
Now that I would go to see if I was in Dublin....

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
13 years 8 months ago #85746 by Frank Ryan
Replied by Frank Ryan on topic Re:Sir Patrick Moore's Irish UFO film identified
Coool.
That would be fun.
Moore is a legend!
Last of a breed I tells ya!

My Astrophotography
Shannonside Astronomy Club __________________________________________
Meade ETX-125PE, Bresser 10 x 50 Binos & Me Peepers

More
13 years 8 months ago #85856 by Mike
Actually, the rabbit hole goes much deeper and it’s quite interesting! Ready to take the blue pill or the red pill?
Both Patrick Moore and Desmond Leslie were ex RAF and very good friends after WWII. Derek Dempster, also ex RAF, knew Desmond Leslie quite well and they founded “Flying Saucer Review” in 1954 along with a number of other persons. “Flying Saucer Review” is still printed to this day but with a name change in 1968 to “FSR” (Prince Phillip is a long standing subscriber as was his uncle Lord Mountbatten, both with a keen interest in the subject).
One of those founding members of FSR when the ball first stared to roll in 1953 was Waveney Girvan whom happened to be involved in the publishing of the now famous book; “Flying Saucers Have Landed” by Desmond Leslie and George Adamski in September of the same year. Desmond Leslie lived an extraordinary life and was very well connected with British high society (he was a cousin of Winston Churchill) and Leslie had influential connections to the British media. By 1953 he had already wrote a number of novels and formed a film company. By that time he was also very influential and highly progressive in experimental music and sound technology, indeed he sold incidental music, sound recordings / soundtracks etc which we later used in the BBC’s Dr. Who as well as some major films, commercials etc.
After the massive success of Leslie’s and Adamski’s book, the space brothers were now fashionable, they were now household names.
During the heightened worldwide success after the book’s publication Desmond Leslie, Adamski, Air Chief Marshal Sir Hugh Dowding (the RAF connection), Patrick Moore (as the then unknown astronomer debating against the claims of Adamski and UFOs,) and various other persons appeared on the BBC’s program “First Hand” in December 1956 (four months before the first sky at night edition was broadcast). There is no question that Desmond Leslie had a huge influence and direction on the outcome of that show when he persuaded his friend Patrick Moore to defend the “NO” camp. Patrick Moore incidentally interviewed Desmond Leslie earlier that same year on the BBCs Panorama program. Both Patrick Moore and Desmond Leslie had an odd and eccentric sense of humour, in later years and still good friends they wrote a spoof book together “How Britain Won the Space Race”. Moore was also involved in some pranks, one in particular in 1976 on a radio show where he informed listeners that due to an alignment of Jupiter and Pluto at a particular time that gravity would be cancelled and persons who jumped would momentarily hover, many persons contacted the show to confirm this was the case.
Certainly Desmond Leslie because of his connections and lifelong friendship with Patrick may have helped him on his way to the person we know and respect today, dare I say it, if it wasn’t for UFOs the sky at night program may have a different presenter from the outset!
I haven’t touched upon the alleged English contactee Cedric Allingham case and Patrick Moore connection as this is quite involved. Certainly with this new found film emerging, it is damming to his defence of denial of having anything to do with the Allingham hoax case.

Clear skies
Mike

I83 Cherryvalley Observatory

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say; "I WANT TO SEE THE MANAGER".

More
13 years 8 months ago - 13 years 8 months ago #85857 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re:Sir Patrick Moore's Irish UFO film identified
Mike wrote:

Moore was also involved in some pranks, one in particular in 1976 on a radio show where he informed listeners that due to an alignment of Jupiter and Pluto at a particular time that gravity would be cancelled and persons who jumped would momentarily hover, many persons contacted the show to confirm this was the case.

Priceless :laugh: :laugh:
dear god, where do you get this from?????

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor
Last edit: 13 years 8 months ago by dave_lillis.

More
13 years 8 months ago #85858 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re:Sir Patrick Moore's Irish UFO film identified
Wow, that's some insight Mike, thanks for sharing!

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds