K-Tec

Interest Dropped To Zero

More
12 years 8 months ago #90443 by Frank Ryan
Replied by Frank Ryan on topic Re: Interest Dropped To Zero
I've been on the verge several times.
Two major stumbling blocks for me;
1- The weather here. (enough said) &
2- Not having a dome or roll-off observatory.
(imagine you look out, yay, it's clear, into the
obs. Shortly you're observing. Great!
Oh-oh, here's the clouds, oh well, off with the
lights and back into the house. No big deal)

Id suggest buy an observatory / roll off
& put all your gear in there.
Then go do something else for a time
until your intetest returns.

My Astrophotography
Shannonside Astronomy Club __________________________________________
Meade ETX-125PE, Bresser 10 x 50 Binos & Me Peepers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lunartic_old
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
12 years 7 months ago #90445 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Re: Interest Dropped To Zero
Many thanks for the advice, confusing or otherwise. :laugh:

I would not put it down to the weather, after all this time I, like every other astronomer in Ireland, is well you to its peculiarities and the way it pokes fun at us. :-( On more than one occasion I've dashed outside when there has been a tiny gap showing a handful of stars.

I appreciate the advice on the purchase of collapsable dobs and observatories, there is the slight snag of no extra money to buy such. :( I also think that the size of the equipment is the problem, no smart comments please, :P My 10" SCT is a heavy piece of kit to be moving aorund, therefore if I were to change equipment I would be going down the aperture scale towards the more grab n go system. The question is whether selling a 10" SCT and purchasing a 4" refractor that would sit under the stairs unused is going to make a difference? One piece of unused kit is no different to another piece of unused kit.

I'm going to have to give it more thought, as I said, I think selling the equipment and putting the money away for any future re-emergence of the desire could be the way to go.

Sometimes life can be so confusing. :gramps:

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

More
12 years 7 months ago #90446 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Interest Dropped To Zero
well Paul,
If you've lost interest then I'd sell the gear while its still worth something, why hang on to it and sell it in 5 years time when it might be worth nothing by then, if in the future you come back into the hobby you'll have cash to buy new equipment if you feel like it.
A dome is extremely convienent, but if you dont have the interest,then it would be a waste.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
12 years 7 months ago #90453 by Donegal Skies
Replied by Donegal Skies on topic Re: Interest Dropped To Zero
Hi Paul,

I think when you are struggling to motivate yourself to engage with astronomy, way torment yourself turning over in your head? I thinkk you're on the right track, sell your gear, forget about astronomy and do something you'll enjoy. If you do get the hunger back for astronomy down the line you will actually enjoy it rather than forcing yourself to continue with it now which will prob end up with you hating the hobby.

Just my thoughts on it on it but it really is your decision to make.

All the best and good luck with which ever road you take.

Brendan
www.DonegalSkies.com

C8N/Omni XLT 150
CG5 GOTO Mount/CG4 Mount with Motor Drive
Self-Modified Canon Digital Rebel/Stock 18-55mm lens/Sigma 70-300mm APO Lens/Philips SPC 900nc
My Flickr Page
Donegal Skies

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
12 years 7 months ago #90454 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Interest Dropped To Zero
Paul, about 10 years ago I had the same hiatus as you. Did nothing for about two years. I would suggest to hold onto your gear. If you sell it you just know that the money will be soaked up elsewhere and you may not be in a position to replace it if the bug comes back. Despite what you're feeling now, once you have astronomy in your blood, it never leaves. Sooner or later you'll get the bug back. Take a break, get stuck into something new for a while, astronomy will creep up on you again. Maybe in a different way but it will return, no doubt.

Dave.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
12 years 7 months ago #90462 by johnomahony
Replied by johnomahony on topic Re: Interest Dropped To Zero

DaveGrennan wrote: Paul, about 10 years ago I had the same hiatus as you. Did nothing for about two years. I would suggest to hold onto your gear. If you sell it you just know that the money will be soaked up elsewhere and you may not be in a position to replace it if the bug comes back. Despite what you're feeling now, once you have astronomy in your blood, it never leaves. Sooner or later you'll get the bug back. Take a break, get stuck into something new for a while, astronomy will creep up on you again. Maybe in a different way but it will return, no doubt.

Dave.

Welcome to the Hotel California :laugh:

As Dave suggests I'd keep the gear. It will always serve as a reminder and may spur your interest next time a comet or other major celestial event happens. :scope:

The Lord giveth, the Revenue taketh away. (John 1:16)

www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds