K-Tec

stargazing programme on bbc, is it in the rte mentality?

More
12 years 3 months ago #92011 by Graham
I suppose if you rounded up a fair few Irish speaking Astronomers then TG4 would probably be game ball for something!

Graham
The following user(s) said Thank You: wbean

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DeirdreKelleghan
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
More
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #92012 by DeirdreKelleghan
OK here is what I was involved in TV and Radio wise over the last few years, seen as it seems we are making a list.

I was invited a few years ago by RTE to record a piece on astronomy in Dunsink Observatory for the childrens show ICE
RTE's childrens show Elev8 had me in taking about radio astronomy, moonbounce and childrens involvment.
Nationwide filmed me talking about the Moon , my telecope and drawing the moon in my garden.
RTE Lunchtime News had me in talkkng ( briefly ) about my workshop Deadly Moons and public outreach in general
RTE News turned up at Gonzaga College to feature a Sputnik model I made for 50 years of Space Exploration
I have recorded sevral short interviews for RTE radio in Dunsink Observatory
Been interviewed by various community radio stations re commenting on everything from Dunsink , to Cassini,to Chinese Lanterns to Meteorites and my trip to see the MSL launch.
Interviewed in Glandalough at a public astronomy event for the Sub Atomic Radio show
Was interviewed for several podcasts including Science Chat by Sean Marshell , Scibernia and 365 Days of Astronomy
Took part in a film about Astronomy in Ireland , which has yet to be seen
More recently I took part in a short film made by WNBC-TV New York News Photographer Lou Braga on the Mars Science Laboratory Launch from Cape Canaveral

Deirdre Kelleghan
Vice Chair IFAS
@skysketcher
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by DeirdreKelleghan.

More
12 years 3 months ago #92013 by wbean
It would be great to have some star parties at least but unlike our friends in the UK we've had some terrible weather since the BBC program started on Monday. After each episode I hopefully wander outside, only to be disappointed yet again. I know it's no use complaining about but perhaps that may also be a reason why RTE might be reluctant to produce a show like Star Gazing Live.

Speaking in favor of a similar Irish program; there really is a great enthusiasm for astronomy in Ireland and we have loads of great home grown speakers and professors in the field who I'm sure would be more than happy to get involved.

I'd definitely be 100% behind it.

www.skelligstarparty.com
Live each week like it's space week!

OTA: WO 72mm Megrez, Skymax 127
Mount: HEQ5 Pro w/ EQMOD

BLOG: astronomybox.blogspot.com/

More
12 years 3 months ago #92014 by wbean
Yeah! TG4 would be great at this sort of thing.

www.skelligstarparty.com
Live each week like it's space week!

OTA: WO 72mm Megrez, Skymax 127
Mount: HEQ5 Pro w/ EQMOD

BLOG: astronomybox.blogspot.com/

More
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #92015 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Lets get a contact list going...
As a thought, and this would be of benefit to ALL IFAS CLUB SECRETARIES/PRO's, would anyone mind taking the time to send me any and all contact information one might have for radio, television, newspaper and subject-specific (physics, astronomy, etc) bodies so that I can compile a list to distribute to the secretaries on board here? It would be of massive benefit, such as:

- Is for IFAS' eyes only.
- As many secretaries would have names, emails and phone numbers etc. with respect to their own localised club, you have the hard work done already.
- One point source for Secretaries and PRO's to notify the media, could be as simple as copy and paste a column of email address in your BCC address line.

If you would like to help, you can send your information in whatever form to seaniehead 'at' eircom 'dot' net or by private message here (if it is, of course, text only) and I will look after the rest. There is no deadline and it will be fully updated and re-distributed as new information arises.

Thanks,

Seanie.

P.S. There is an old list going round, but I know from my own experience, many contacts in it have either moved on or were deleted.

P.P.S. I will make this a notification sticky on the Announcements forum. Please try and keep your media contacts information private to avoid duplicates and overlaps, also so that IFAS has first dibs on the information!

:)

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by Seanie_Morris.

More
12 years 3 months ago #92017 by Seanie_Morris
See new topic here:

www.irishastronomy.org/index.php?option=...1&id=92016&Itemid=40

Dave, sorry if this hijacks your original thread a bit!

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds