K-Tec

stargazing programme on bbc, is it in the rte mentality?

• dave_lillis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #91998 by dave_lillis
Thanks for all the interesting and thought provoking responses,
My question was deliberately abit harsh on rte, but really you have to face the facts.
I think their indiginous science programming is nonexistant, there are so many clubs across the country and using IFAS's infrastructure, it could be done.

The problem is getting someone in a tv station with the vision and influence onboard, we tried here in SAC to get them interested in the WSP/BSP, you might as well have been talking to them about the grains of sand on a beach, they were not interested. Even "nationwide" on rte was approached, they couldn't get their heads around it !

The stargazing live program came under unfair criticism last year IMHO, Dara did what he does best, improv humour, what else are you gonna get when your hire one of the best improv comedians out there. Him and Cox are a great combination, they add an air of mild levity and humour to the situation that would grab and keep peoples attention. Theyr'e doing a great job again this year.
I have the utmost respect for Patrick Moore, he has his style, he gets away with things on TV that would make others look stupid, he is why I'm in this hobby.

Anyway, as for rte, my only fear is that if rte went ahead with it, they'd use someone to host it who'd be almost universally shunned by the astro community.
Now if someone like Leo Enright could host it, that would be great.

youtube stuff is great, still cant beat a live show on one of the tv channels.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by dave_lillis.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago #92000 by Calibos

Anyway, as for rte, my only fear is that if rte went ahead with it, they'd use someone to host it who'd be almost universally shunned by the astro community.

My first thoughts too.

Keith D.

16" Meade Lightbridge Truss Dobsonian with Servocat Tracking/GOTO
Ethos 3.7sx,6,8,10,13,17,21mm
Nagler 31mm

More
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #92005 by Pat_Dunne
I am strongly of the opinion that it would have been very worthwhile if the IFAS had "piggy backed" on to the BBC Stargazing prog. Why couldn't there have been events organised at Sandymount, Phoenix Park, Bray, Blackrock Castle, Birr, etc, so as to harness the very obvious enthusiasm that the general have for astronomy.

Dave_Lillis wrote: Now if someone like Leo Enright could host it, that would be great.

Has anyone from IFAS ever approached Leo Enright so as to gain an insight as to how to promote astronomy with RTE, or TV3 for that matter.

Celestron CPC 9.25
Celestron Ultima LX 8mm, 13mm, 17mm, 22mm, 32mm.
Starlight Microfocuser
A full set of Snickers Thermals
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by Pat_Dunne.

More
12 years 3 months ago #92007 by Seanie_Morris

Pat_Dunne wrote: Has anyone from IFAS ever approached Leo Enright so as to gain an insight as to how to promote astronomy with RTE, or TV3 for that matter.

Yep, some of us would include contact emails etc. we have for press releases and things like that. Some of us have been contacted by phone (at random, too) by RTE in relation to events coming up. Here in MAC, Cosmos even featured one time on that Weekender short on TV3 2 years ago because the programme included Guy Consolmagno from the Vatican, which caught the eye of someone. And trust me, it wasn't in response to my emails to them because they didn't manage to get the poster design as a backdrop from me! :)

Unfortunately, we loose out to that guy who always has time to spend (as his job) getting the limelight in RTE from the rest of us poor, mostly working outside of Dublin souls.

Still, that is not to act as a deterrant - the key is repetiton. It's like subliminal messaging. Eventually a message will get through.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
12 years 3 months ago #92008 by eansbro
Astronomy programmes in Ireland have had occasional airings.
There has been a series of astronomy programmes on RTE back in 1991.
Derek Mooney had an astronomy series for 12 weeks. Half an hour programmes. May be because astronomy was on the Junior Leaving Cert.

Clair McSweeney from Blackrock Castle Observatory has had weekly astronomy series on Lyric FM.

Ulster TV had "look Up" running for about 3 years back in the 1980s. It was weekly programme.

The Irish Astronomical Society committee, back in the 1970s, did contact RTE to air a series of astronomy programmes. It was turned down because of the 'Sky at Night'.

Eamonn

• dave_lillis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #92010 by dave_lillis

Seanie_Morris wrote: Cosmos even featured one time on that Weekender short on TV3 2 years ago because the programme included Guy Consolmagno from the Vatican,
Seanie.

figures, include religion or something like basket weaving, cutting turf, and you'll get noticed.
but to be fair, you do here the odd snippet of astronomy on the radio from Mooney and a few others.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by dave_lillis.

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds