A bit of IR photography

• Nerro
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
12 years 2 months ago #92535 by Nerro
Replied by Nerro on topic Re: A bit of IR photography
Yes the first thing to go when you are modifying the camera is the IR blocking filter making the camera useless for normal photography.i know there are cameras made with clip in IR blocking filters but as far as I know they old film ones,haven't heard anyone making DSLR one.
What's for astro photography Dave gave me some food for my thoughts.in theory IR filter is intended to block the visible light.so it should block most of the light pollution???maybe someone tried this???going to play around in Google and see what I will come up.But I presume there is a catch somewhere as it would be the best friend who lives in the city and at the moment I haven't heard anything about it...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #92538 by mjc
Replied by mjc on topic Re: A bit of IR photography
Question re: IR astro imaging.

Weather satellites use various IR bands from about 730nm up to about 1,200nm and image water vapour / clouds even at night. Water absorbs IR (then presumably re-emits as a black body). So I suspect that ground-based IR astro imaging would be difficult.

IR coming in would get absorbed and signal sources weakened and this compounded by greater sky noise in IR due to water vapour re-emitting.

Note: cloud detectors work on IR from the water vapour in the atmosphere.

www.noao.edu/staff/gillespie/projects/cloud-detector.html

In case that link is banjaxed:
www.noao.edu/staff/gillespie/projects/cloud-detector.html
(looks like one can just paste in a URL - I thought you had to use the link icon - nice.)

I can't pretend to be an authority so please feel free to research further.

Mark C.
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by mjc. Reason: Commented direct URL pasting

More
12 years 2 months ago #92550 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: A bit of IR photography
thats what I was also wondering about, how far does cameras sensitivity extend into the IR range ?!??, is it anyway usuable on the likes of nebulae likes the N. American nebula for instance.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #92552 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Re: A bit of IR photography
The Spitzer telescope has taken some stunning images of the North America nebula in IR.

[url=http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap110215.html][/url]

Obvioulsy a modified DSLR would not have the same resolution as Spitzer, but with the correct scope and exposure I would imagine that an excellent image could be achieved.

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by lunartic_old.

More
12 years 2 months ago #92553 by Calibos
Replied by Calibos on topic Re: A bit of IR photography

lunartic wrote: The Spitzer telescope has taken some stunning images of the North America nebula in IR.

[url=http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap110215.html][/url]

Obvioulsy a modified DSLR would not have the same resolution as Spitzer, but with the correct scope and exposure I would imagine that an excellent image could be achieved.

Paul

If you supply the scope and the camera, I'll bring it with me to the ISS after I win the 100 million in the Euro Millions.

Keith D.

16" Meade Lightbridge Truss Dobsonian with Servocat Tracking/GOTO
Ethos 3.7sx,6,8,10,13,17,21mm
Nagler 31mm

More
12 years 2 months ago #92555 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Re: A bit of IR photography

I'll bring it with me to the ISS after I win the 100 million in the Euro Millions.

The way property prices are going you should be able to pick it up next year for a mere 20 million. :p

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds