Galway Astronomy Festival 2015 "New Worlds - New Horizons"

• R Newman
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #102692 by R Newman
Hi

We have a new promo movie put together by myself for our February 21st AstroFest in Galway which is shaping up to be like in 2014 to be a cracker of an astronomy event

Link here to the full webpage about the Festival www.galwayastronomyclub.ie/index.php/archive

See an article about one of our festival speakers; Daniel (Eclipsedan) Lynch on page 113-114 of the January edition of the Sky at Night magazine

Speakers for Ireland's Favourite Star Party on February 21st at

1 Professor Michael Perryman (UCD): "Measuring the Distances to the Stars"

Co author of the "Millennium Star Atlas" and project scientist of the GAIA Space Astrometry mission. (FREE PUBLIC LECTURE)

2 Daniel (Eclipsedan) Lynch: "Light into Dark: Chasing Total Solar Eclipses"

Irish Eclipse chaser of ten international Total Solar Eclipses and his talk will serve as a prelude to the March 2015 Solar Eclipse.

3 Nick Howes: "A Tail of Two Comets - Serendipity and Discovery" and after Dinner talk : "Under African Skies... the Astro Safari adventure of a lifetime"

Amateur astronomer at the Kielder Observatory, UK, Consultant and Science writer

4 Damian Peach: "Worlds of the Solar System

World renowned planetary imager, Damian has spent the last ten years documenting the changing face of our solar system with crystal clear images good enough to stand alongside those of the Hubble Space Telescope

5 Professor Susan McKenna Lawlor: "The Rosetta Mission and its lander Philae"

Susan Mckenna Lawlor is the Emeritus professor in Experimental physics at the National University of Ireland Maynooth (NUIM) and the founder and director of Space Technology Ireland Ltd which builds instrumentation for various space experiments flown on ESA, NASA and Russian missions. She also developed a set of instruments to monitor the Martian solar wind on the Mars Express mission launched by the European Space Agency. Her talk will look at the Rosetta Comet mission for which her team built an instrument on its lander that will touchdown on the comet last month.

6 Dr Christopher Watson: Title TBA

Dr Chris Watson from Queens University Belfast who will provide the very latest up-to-date information on the fascinating area of research about Extra Solar Planets. At QUB he has lectureship position studying the impact of stellar activity on the nature and detection of extra-solar planets and has been busy designing techniques to help in the hunt for these New Worlds orbiting other stars

7 Dave Grennan: Building a Home Made Telescope

Dave Grennan well known Irish amateur astronomer and Supernova hunter based at his Dublin suburban home observatory; "J41 Raheney Observatory". He has discovered three Supernovae in recent years and more recently his third using a home built telescope with a mirror that he ground himself. Dave will present a workshop during the lunch break detailing the delicate steps involved for a person to make their own perfect mirror for use on a telescope.

8. Brian MaGabhann, Galway Astronomy Club

Building a small observatory is not all that hard. A simple roll-off roof design can be built in a few days with simple tools and materials easily available in your local building supply store. A dome is much more complicated but still can be done with more careful planning, Or you can buy a kit. Galway Astronomy Club member Brian MacGabhann recently undertook the task of building himself a small wooden observatory and during this 30 minute workshop he will go through the different steps needed to get your observatory off the ground.

Tickets for the event are available at the door from 9.15am, there will also be dark sky observing at Brigits Garden, workshops, information/trade stands and as bonus attendees will get a chance to visit the NUI Galway Observatory.

For details of the Festival (including accommodation) our homepage at www.galwayastronomyclub.ie/index.php/archive or phone (00353)868434003. We look forward to seeing you, hopefully under clear skies
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by R Newman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: michaeloconnell, nectarine, michael_murphy, Roy Stewart

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #102758 by nectarine
Really looking forward to the weekend Ronan, especially as I missed last year's. Looks like a great line-up!

Bernie Foley
IFAS Treasurer

• Roy Stewart
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2014
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2014
More
9 years 2 months ago #103119 by Roy Stewart
13 days and counting.. I'm really looking forward to my 1st astronomy festival of the year.. Cracking line up of speakers and lots more to do all day.

Cheers Roy
#ClearSkies

QUOTE: “Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” ― Arthur C. Clarke.
Skywatcher 200pds & HEQ5 PRO Mount , 15x70 Astro Revelation binos.. EP's SW 38mm 2" Panaview- SW 30mm 2" Aero- SW 26mm 2"Panaview.. 2" UHC filter-2" OIII filter.

www.twitter.com/Roydeboy33

More
9 years 2 months ago #103161 by nectarine
Just a heads up to any club reps/treasurers that will be at Galway next weekend. I will have a table selling books etc but I will also have my IFAS Treasurers 'hat' on so please, if you have not paid your clubs' insurance or membership for 2015 yet - do come visit me and hand over your pennies.
Thank you......

Bernie Foley
IFAS Treasurer

• R Newman
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
9 years 2 months ago #103163 by R Newman
Bernie, will you be bringing some of those IFAS eclipse shades with you?

Ronan

More
9 years 2 months ago #103178 by nectarine
I don't think they'll be delivered in time but if they do arrive before next weekend, Seanie will definitely bring some along.

Bernie Foley
IFAS Treasurer

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds