K-Tec

Tragic news: reach for the stars, Michael Scully

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 3 months ago #102729 by Seanie_Morris
It is with a sad heart that I must inform you of the death of Michael Scully, longtime member of Kerry Astronomy Club for many years, who passed away suddenly. Michael was one of the core members, a driving force behind Kerry AC. He managed their Facebook page and their website, and along with John Keane was one person anyone was priviledged to be asked by, to come to Kerry AC as a guest speaker.

Details of his funeral are as follows:

The late Michael Scully of Mounthawk Manor, Tralee and formerly of Kanturk, Cork. Reposing at his residence in Mounthawk Manor on Wednesday from 2.30pm to 5.30pm. Removal at 5.30pm Wednesday to Our Lady & St. Brendan’s Church. Requiem Mass on Thursday at 11am. Interment afterwards in Réalt na Mara Cemetery, Churchill. Donations in lieu of flowers to the Society of St. Vincent de Paul, care of the Gleasure Funeral Home.

All our thoughts and prayers are with Michae's family at this sad time.

Seanie Morris,
IFAS Chairperson.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 3 months ago #102730 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Tragic news: reach for the stars, Michael Scully

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.
Attachments:

More
9 years 3 months ago #102731 by ftodonoghue
Replied by ftodonoghue on topic Tragic news: reach for the stars, Michael Scully
I heard this sad sad news this morning and it is difficult to appreciate that Michael has gone. I first met Michael 10 years ago today. I had just contacted Kerry Astronomy Club to rekindle my childhood passion in astronomy.

Michael traveled from Tralee to Killarney to meet me and brought his 8.75" dob with him and proceeded to show me Saturn through a telescope for the first time. I was hooked. This was the first of many nights spent together under the stars or at lecture theaters with Kerry Astronomy Club.

As Seanie mentioned, Michael updated the website and his reports and images of our observing sessions, particularly from the earlier years of the club now have a poignancy that was never intended.

Michael's passion for astronomy and outreach was infectious and allied with his knowledge, generosity and patience, helped many of us on our journey under the stars. It is sad to think that we will not get to share time at the eyepiece again.

Kerry Astronomy Club held an observing session on the 29th of December and unfortunately I didn't get to make it, but Michael did, and it is satisfying to know that he got to spend time with Comet Lovejoy, the moon and some other targets that night before he passed on.

A quick look at Kerry Astronomy clubs website will show that Michael was responsible for the majority of images, reports and other content. This commitment and his stint as Club chairman and IFAS rep, stand as testament to his passion and enthusiasm for astronomy.

I will miss him. My thoughts and condolences are with his family and friends at this difficult time.
RIP and Clear Skies.

Cheers
Trevor

More
9 years 3 months ago #102732 by johnomahony
Replied by johnomahony on topic Tragic news: reach for the stars, Michael Scully
Very sad news.
My condolences to his family and friends at this tragic time

The Lord giveth, the Revenue taketh away. (John 1:16)

www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/

More
9 years 3 months ago #102733 by Paddy Stack
Replied by Paddy Stack on topic Tragic news: reach for the stars, Michael Scully
We are in a state of shock in the Kerry Astronomy Club having heard the news of Michael Scullys passing. Michael was a founder member of the club and became chairman three months after the club was formed. He held that position for 7 years simply because we would not let him resign. Apart from establishing our web site and recently our facebook page, Michael was by far the most knowledgeable person in the club on all aspects of Astronomy. His main passion was observing and he lead many observation sessions for us. I had the privilege of spending 4 hours observing with him on Monday of last week. We had good views of comet Lovejoy despite a bright Moon in the way. Though his job took him to Cork for 5 days a week during the past three years , he continued to be an active member of the club and continued his maintenance of the website and Facebook page and was in fact our secretary.

His passing is a massive blow to the club. We will honour his memory by continuing the work he started.

Sincerely,

Paddy Stack.
Chairman (Kerry Astronomy Club)

Paddy.
kerryastronomyclub.com
Attachments:

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #102734 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Tragic news: reach for the stars, Michael Scully
I am shocked to hear this news!
Michael was a gentleman. Knowledgeable, softly spoken and always generous with his time.
I always looked forward to meeting him at the star parties and I can remember some spectacular views through his dob, which he built himself.
My condolences to his family, friends and club mates.
Ar ais de go raibh a anam.
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by michaeloconnell.

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds