K-Tec

IFAS, roads, national astronomy... was Sligo Astronomy Group

More
8 years 7 months ago #104770 by gordonlalor
I thought the same Dave. But they actually had a starparty in charleville last weekend!
I think it was only really promoted on facebook, so i only found out about it the day after.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #104771 by Seanie_Morris

gordonlalor wrote: I thought the same Dave. But they actually had a starparty in charleville last weekend!
I think it was only really promoted on facebook, so i only found out about it the day after.

It wasn't a star party per se, I think it was more of a fundraiser for the castle, which does rely on donations and fundraisers to prevent it from going into the state's hands. It's a Trust. Ian O'Flynn, one of the core volunteers in the castle is also a staunch member of RoA. MAC members were terribly surprised that MAC were not asked to help out, as it is the only astronomy club in the Midlands that actively does outreach. Makes one think... ;-)

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by Seanie_Morris.

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #104772 by dave_lillis
members?? so its a club so ?

starparty ? just did a search as I at first thought it was the charleville between Limerick and Cork and was thinking where is there a castle around there lol

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by dave_lillis.

More
8 years 7 months ago #104773 by Seanie_Morris

Dave_Lillis wrote: members?? so its a club so ?

Sure, IFAS has 'members', around 4,000 of them between member clubs' own members and registered users on this site... doesn't make it a club or society. RoA can do its own thing, clearly an agenda exists to rock the IFAS boat (see my previous post above), but I don't think it's doing much.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #104775 by dave_lillis
Our clubs facebook page has had 5000 hits over the past few days over the promoting of the BSP.
Great as it is, it doesn't mean we're going to get 5k members ... unfortunately

so really what I'm asking is, is the ROA a boots on the ground organization?

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by dave_lillis.

More
8 years 7 months ago #104777 by dmcdona
Manic Dave - take a deep breath and read back the three posts you penned - aloud, in a quiet room.

Then you will hear, in your own voice, many more insults from your own keyboard than I could ever throw. You want to attack IFAS? You want to demean all the work people have put in to it? Attack me as a past Chairman? Go ahead. But don't get all pissy when its thrown back at you. Don't dish the dirt if you can't take it. And if all you took from my post was the "annoying squeaky bearing" bit, then that speaks volumes about you. As does the fact that you then continue on your DM diatribe yet again.

I recall going to the first SSP - I recall that you were there. I recall that a significant portion of your conversations that I heard were all about your bitterness toward DM and AI. Not about the "lifeblood" of astronomy, the beauty of the night sky, the challenge of splitting a tight double. No - a monologue on the evils of AI/DM. Seriously - stop it for the sake of your health. Its not good for you. That *is* genuinely sad.

As a former Chairperson of IFAS, I actually got off my backside and played my part in furthering the organisation - as did those before and after me. What did you do? What is your contribution? What did you bring to the table? I'd love to hear of all your achievements.

Roy - I was going to write something here in reply to you but I've better things to be doing.

One final point to you Manic Dave. It actually sickens me when someone I don't know or who doesn't know me (at all) calling me "mate". You're not my mate. And I'm not.
Yours
Dave

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds