K-Tec

Clubs not (yet) affiliated to the IFAS

More
20 years 8 months ago #315 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Clubs not (yet) affiliated to the IFAS
Hi Stephen,
As far as I can make out, the majority of our new club members in the las year or so are ex/present members of AI who discovered the club here either by accident or on the web/local newspaper. They all mentioned that they didnt like the idea of travelling to Dublin for events. If AI join, it will definitely cost them.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 8 months ago #319 by stepryan
Replied by stepryan on topic Re: Clubs not (yet) affiliated to the IFAS
david,
that is interesting, it shows that for some people in AI if they were offered the oppertunity to join a local club rather than AI which is based in dublin they would jump at it. it helps prove my point that a little more advertising would go a long way. we don't have to go mad.
stephen.

More
20 years 8 months ago #337 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Clubs not (yet) affiliated to the IFAS
:lol: IFAS could look for new members by putting a full page ad in A&S magazine :lol:

• albertw
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Secretary
  • IFAS Secretary
More
20 years 8 months ago #338 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Clubs not (yet) affiliated to the IFAS

:lol: IFAS could look for new members by putting a full page ad in A&S magazine :lol:

I actually though about that, but I'd imagine the cost might be prohibitive, but its on the list of silly things to do if I win the lotto :)

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

• albertw
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Secretary
  • IFAS Secretary
More
20 years 7 months ago #712 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic AI again
Hi,

Some time ago I mentioned that I had mailed Astronomy Ireland / Astronomy and Space limited asking them as a member, if they would consider joining the IFAS and if they could mention this site on their society pages.

The initial reply to my mail of July 27th was basically "we'll get back to you about this, mail us agin mid august if we don't", and since then I have sent a couple of reminders to them, but with no response.

Yesterday I recieved the lastest issue of A&S in the post, and unsurprisingly there was no mention of this website in the society news section.

pity, but if thats how they want to be...

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
20 years 7 months ago #713 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: AI again

Hi,

Some time ago I mentioned that I had mailed Astronomy Ireland / Astronomy and Space limited asking them as a member, if they would consider joining the IFAS and if they could mention this site on their society pages.

The initial reply to my mail of July 27th was basically "we'll get back to you about this, mail us agin mid august if we don't", and since then I have sent a couple of reminders to them, but with no response.

Yesterday I recieved the lastest issue of A&S in the post, and unsurprisingly there was no mention of this website in the society news section.

pity, but if thats how they want to be...

Cheers,
~Al

As I was reading that I kept on hoping for good news but sadly no :cry:

Might be an idea to go over "the Esteemed Chairman"'s head and just send something about this site straight to the editor. What do you think?

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds