Clubs not (yet) affiliated to the IFAS

• albertw
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Secretary
  • IFAS Secretary
More
20 years 9 months ago #228 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: IFAS member groups

your e-mail signature brought a wry smile to my face Shane -- well done on conquering Leinster and best of luck for the All-Ireland ...

Next year..... Up the Dubs :-)

Another group I was wondering about was West Cork who were based in Schull. Anyone know anything about them?

Nope, but Jouke might, hes in Castletownbere isnt he? There was a mail on the IAS list a while back from someone in Wexford thinking about starting up a club, I'll drop them a mail.

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 9 months ago #229 by halenger
Replied by halenger on topic Re: Clubs not (yet) affiliated to the IFAS
I've no intention of starting a heated discussion cause in all fairness I don't care about any of the politics. It's a hobby to me, that's all.

I was just making a suggestion and seeking a response-received as expected-Go To Hell!! :-p

-Halenger-

• albertw
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Secretary
  • IFAS Secretary
More
20 years 9 months ago #230 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Clubs not (yet) affiliated to the IFAS

I've no intention of starting a heated discussion cause in all fairness I don't care about any of the politics. It's a hobby to me, that's all.

I was just making a suggestion and seeking a response-received as expected-Go To Hell!! :-p

Thats was far from a go to hell response :-) Please stick around and join in the discussions!

A.I. know about the other clubs, and the IFAS, the constitution is on the site somewhere, if you want to suggest it to A.I.

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
www.darksky.ie/

More
20 years 9 months ago #233 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: Clubs not (yet) affiliated to the IFAS
hi everyone,

I'm sorry if my last mail has been seen as a personal attack on one of the poster's to this thread. However, I think my mail was completely misinterpreted and an unfortunate knee-jerk reaction was the result.

my comments in referring to a previous discussion about AI were to be taken as such -- just an observation on the time the Yahoo group was inflamed by people slinging brickbats about David and his group and, as a moderator, I intervened to bring some sense and stabilty to what is really just a friendly and enjoyable hobby for us all.

so, let's put any incidents behind us at this stage.

I'd just like to draw attention to another comment I made in my last post about the availability of Arcturus to people not in any club at the moment. Just drop me a note to skynotes at eircom dot net (special characters to replace the "at" and "dot" -- I do this to beat the spammers!) if you would like to receive a copy as a pdf file.

Al, there is a group in Wexford being started by Dermot Rafter who is one of the founder-members of the South Dublin group. Dermot lives in the sunny southeast now and has said that they will seek affiliation to IFAS in the next six months or so once things are established.

David (Bell) has had contact with another new group in Waterford and some of their members will be at Birr. They also have been invited to join IFAS.

it looks like the future of astronomy and clubs in the country is really looking up!!!

John Flannery,
co-editor, Arcturus, the magazine for IFAS and member clubs.

More
20 years 9 months ago #234 by spculleton
Replied by spculleton on topic Re: Clubs not (yet) affiliated to the IFAS
Uh, what just happened?
Who told whom to 'go to hell'? Maybe I'm missing a post or something. That there is one tasty can of worms that just popped open! I thought this was an astronomy forum. Whatever politics and bitterness exists out there, keep it to yourselves will you? Your egos pale pretty quickly compared to what I saw through my scope last night.
I went to the Kildare/Roscommon game in Portlaoise with a friend of mine from Kildare last night. He was really gutted with the result, so we sat out the back of my place with a couple of beers and watched the stars come out. Eventually I got tired of pointing out stars and telling him that M31 is over there and M13 is up there and took out my telescope.
He got his first view of M13 last night and audibly gasped when he saw it. 'I'm really pissed off at having lost that match', he said, 'but that view more than makes up for it.'
That's what the hobby is about, not some personal issues between people from years ago. Get over yourselves, will you.

Shane Culleton.

Dozo Yoroshiku Onegai Shimasu

• albertw
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Secretary
  • IFAS Secretary
More
20 years 9 months ago #236 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Clubs not (yet) affiliated to the IFAS
For what its worth I've mailed AI and pointed them to the constitution of the IFAS and asked them to consider joining. I've also asked that they mention this site in the society news section of their magazine in September/Cctober when the site is fully launched.

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
www.darksky.ie/

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds