• Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
15 years 10 months ago #69337 by Vagelis Tsamis
Regarding your accomodation:
Of course there are beds for all of you in the refuge:
farm4.static.flickr.com/3119/2568136753_227ee63376.jpg

but how about staying in a camping tent? Me and John both chosed tents. Nothing compares to sleeping in the open country.
John brought his tent along, which he later left to us. So this is available for someone else.
Also, I do have a spare big tent for 2 people. So if you want to take advantage of that, feel free to use ours, and not bring your tent, in order to gain free space in your luggage.

John, would you like to comment on that?

(PS: Strange, we don't have any pic of the tents, John! How come?)

Sparta Astronomy Association / Observations Coordinator
International Occultation Timing Association / European Section, www.iota-es.de/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 10 months ago #69339 by JohnMurphy

(PS: Strange, we don't have any pic of the tents, John! How come?)

Given the size of the tent (skinny - greek for tent) I brought, I didn't want to put people off. My tent was quite small and whereas Dave Grennan might have found it adequate :D it was quite another thing for me as I'm 6'1" (185cm in todays currency).
But yes you are correct I found sleeping in the night air most refreshing, whats more it was convenient to have everything close to hand. Not necessary to have to trudge back up to the refuge if you'd left something in your bag.

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

• Vagelis Tsamis
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
15 years 10 months ago #69341 by Vagelis Tsamis
By "spare tent" I mean the huge one I had with me this time. That I intent to provide. That's for quite tall people, I guess :D
Me, I will use another tent of mine in July.

As you wisely suggested in Parnon, people could also use your tent for storing things, or gear, right?

International Occultation Timing Association / European Section, www.iota-es.de/

More
15 years 10 months ago #69356 by michaeloconnell

By "spare tent" I mean the huge one I had with me this time. That I intent to provide. That's for quite tall people, I guess :D
Me, I will use another tent of mine in July.

As you wisely suggested in Parnon, people could also use your tent for storing things, or gear, right?

Vagelis,
I you have a spare tent, you might keep me in mind for it/part of it for the moment please. I haven't booked anything with the refuge yet and so this would be great to use. It would save me having to buy a tent and then pay extra in luggage fees to the airline to bring it over and back. If the plan changes, i'll let you know.
BTW, is there any shop within reasomable distance of the place? I'm thinking here in terms of food and water for the few days thatwe are there? What do you normally do?

Cheers,

• Vagelis Tsamis
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
15 years 10 months ago #69375 by Vagelis Tsamis
OK Michael. I 'll "might keep you in mind for it/part of it for the moment".
As for food supplies, there are two villages in 1/2 hrs drive distance, Ag. Petros (St. Peter) and Kastanitsa.
Normally we buy supplies in Ag. Petros, on our way to the observing site. In case we need something during our stay, we can either drive back again, or ask someone to buy and fetch it. Observers keep on arriving on Friday and on Saturday and they always call us to ask if we need smth.

More
15 years 10 months ago #69524 by Frank Ryan
Set aside another camping spot there Vagelis,
I just booked my flights today!

My Astrophotography
Shannonside Astronomy Club __________________________________________
Meade ETX-125PE, Bresser 10 x 50 Binos & Me Peepers

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds