K-Tec

Open Invitation to EAE Summer Star Parties-Mt Parnon, GREECE

More
15 years 10 months ago #69563 by JohnMurphy
Frank - Good man I see you have decided to go.
I can guarantee that you won't regret it.
You may find it tough to put some time aside for photography of the sky, but it is one thing I should have spent more time on. The pictures I took were hurried and not done carefully. I also only had a fixed tripod to work with so exposure time was limited. Block out a couple of hours on whatever clearest night you get, and make the most of it. This is my only regret for the trip, that I wasn't more careful and took more time.

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Vagelis Tsamis
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
15 years 10 months ago #69625 by Vagelis Tsamis
I need some quick answers :!: in order to make hotel reservations for you (for Wednesday, 2nd July).
See my previous message.

Plan B is abandoned, so we follow Plan A. We need daylight to set up the tents.

Dave Lillis and Michael O' Connell, I DO have your flight schedule.
Dave Grennan and Frank Ryan, I have NOT your flight schedule yet.

Is it the same flights for all 4 of you :?:
Do you all agree with Plan A :?:

Plan A
We pick you up from Athens Airport upon your arrival, give you a lift to a Athinais Hotel*, then you take some rest, and in the evening we all go out for dinner and/or a drink at downtown Athens historical center, enjoying the view of Acropolis. In the next morning, we pick you up from the hotel and we drive to the observing site. We arrive at about noon.

* www.athinaishotel.gr/default_en.htm
It's nice and clean, situated by a metro station (subway), not far from city center, and very convenient for picking you up on our way to Parnon the next morning. Prices: Single room 65 euros, double or twin room 80 euros (40 euros each person), triple room 96 euros (32 euros each person) - all prices include breakfast.

Plan B
We pick you up from Athens Airport and we drive directly to the observing site. We arrive well after midnight. No observing, because we will all be tired. We just settle ourselves in the George Pierce refuge. In the next morning we start enjoying our 4 days in heaven.

As for Sunday 6th July, day of your departure, DO BRING your swimming suits with you. We will stop at Kineta Beach, on our way to the airport, for a couple of hours swimming/relaxing and having lunch.

Wasn't it a great idea to have a swim at Kineta, John?
:D

Sparta Astronomy Association / Observations Coordinator
International Occultation Timing Association / European Section, www.iota-es.de/

More
15 years 10 months ago #69639 by JohnMurphy
Vagelis,

Yes stopping for a swim on the way to the airport was a great idea. There are no shower facilities at the refuge so if you want to be allowed on the plane home a swim will de-scent you.
One thing I would suggest though is to find the route to the beach - I picked up some sea-urchin spines in my heel, probably just unlucky, but there'd be less chance at the sandy beach. I got 'erself to dig some out with a needle and the rest fell out after soaking in salt water (I have since heard that soaking in a Vinegar solution is the medical treatment).

The Hotel Athinais is fine, if a bit noisy (traffic) at night. Then again I can't imagine anywhere in Athens centre as being quiet. The traffic there makes Dublin traffic seem like Lisdoonvarna - seriously.

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

• Vagelis Tsamis
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
15 years 10 months ago #69643 by Vagelis Tsamis
Ooops, so we had some side-effect casualties :( Sorry John!
Well, this time we won't have only 15 minutes. We will spend over an hour at an organized beach with sand, see-beds, sol-umbrellas, etc.

On which floor was your room?
Maybe I can ask for rooms in the highest floors, from where the traffic noise maybe isn't so much disturbing.

Sparta Astronomy Association / Observations Coordinator
International Occultation Timing Association / European Section, www.iota-es.de/

More
15 years 10 months ago #69670 by Frank Ryan
Well,
I'll be on the same flight as Mike and Dave.
Plan B sounds the best!
and as for the swim on the way back...awesome!

I can't believe how much work you are putting into this for us!

It's soooo appreciated!

My Astrophotography
Shannonside Astronomy Club __________________________________________
Meade ETX-125PE, Bresser 10 x 50 Binos & Me Peepers

More
15 years 10 months ago #69682 by michaeloconnell
Frank,

Plan B is abandoned, so we follow Plan A.

We will be staying in the hotel on the first night after we arrive.

Vagelis,
Pencil me in for a single room please.
Many Thanks,

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds