Total Solar Eclipse -November 3rd

• flt158
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
10 years 6 months ago #99115 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic Re: Total Solar Eclipse -November 3rd
Valerie and I continue to have a brilliant time every day. We now are seeing a waning thick crescent Moon today Monday.
Last night we saw the Chinese Space Station and an Atlas Centaur Rocket in the sky with Paul Maley`s wife Lynn- both magnitude 1.5.
Venus is dazzling after dark, and Sagittarius is, as expected, higher in the south west. We are getting on the ship very soon.
6 days to totality.

Aubrey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• flt158
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
10 years 6 months ago #99150 by flt158
Hello, all. Valerie and I have just seen yet another Total Solar Eclipse on November 3rd. Totality occured at 9.41 local time in the Atlantic Ocean with about 100 people. Special thanks to Paul Maley. There was a lot of opaque cloud in the sky, but we saw a Diamond Ring at 2nd contact, and another at 3rd contact. We observed no prominences, no sunspots or Baily's Beads. However, we could make out an inner corona which we consider the most important phenomenon. After Totality was finished, the Sun was completely invisible.
I was initially doubting that I would see any corona at all, but thankfully it was faintly visible.
This was my 8th Total Solar Eclipse and Valerie's 6th. I might make it to 10 yet!
Roll on March 2015 for the next one!

Aubrey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dave_lillis, michaeloconnell, michael_murphy, lunartic_old, martinus, PaulWalsh, manic_dave

More
10 years 6 months ago #99153 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Total Solar Eclipse -November 3rd
Hi Aubrey,
I'm glad you got to see atleast some of it, you can never beat the atmosphere created by totality.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
10 years 6 months ago #99160 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Total Solar Eclipse -November 3rd
Well done Aubrey and Valerie.
I'm glad that you both got to see it.

What's the ship like?

More
10 years 6 months ago #99162 by nectarine
Replied by nectarine on topic Re: Total Solar Eclipse -November 3rd
Congrats Aubry & Valerie,
how are you planning to view the 2015 eclipse as that seems a hard one to get to to me. I think my next eclipse trip will be the States in 2017 though would love to see one earlier if possible.....

Bernie Foley
IFAS Treasurer

• flt158
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
10 years 6 months ago #99202 by flt158
Hi Michael and everyone. We are now in Barbados today Saturday. Apologies for coming back to you so late. The internet on the Sea Dream ship stopped working over the last 4 days. But now, it is perfect in Barbardos.
But I have to say the ship was great otherwise. The weather going over the Atlantic Ocean was mostly very good. Food excellent at all times. Beds were comfortable. We had a great rest too.
We could see the Moon, Venus and Antares in the western sky -just using our eyes. Also plenty of rare constellations such as Eridanus with Achernar at its base. Grus, Sagittarius, Capricornus, Perseus, Cassiopeia, Orion and Taurus all sighted. We also saw a green flash at sunset.
Right so, what of 2015? I would love to see a 9th Total Solar Eclipse. But I need to come home first before we could discuss further. I definitely would consider a plane to get over the guaranteed clouds on a day long flight.

Aubrey.

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds