K-Tec

Venus Illumination Spots, Lightning or NOT ?

More
19 years 11 months ago #2903 by BrianOHalloran
Replied by BrianOHalloran on topic Re: Venus Illumination Spots, Lightning or NOT ?
There are ultra-high clouds on Earth and the gas giants. Why not on Venus? Quite plausible. And as for the other stuff, just discussing stuff on your webpage Brad....

Brian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bradguth-gasa-ieis
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 11 months ago #2911 by bradguth-gasa-ieis
Replied by bradguth-gasa-ieis on topic Re: Venus Illumination Spots, Lightning or NOT ?
Come on now; yourself, Brian and a certified village idiot such as myself know that we now have the capability of making a rather tough go of it on Venus, though not in our birthday suits.

With applied technology and of what's currently off-the-shelf, we could at least place a long lasting communications kiosk on the "Guth Venus" tarmac if we wanted to.

At least on Venus (unlike surviving Mars) we're not having to drag along any surplus energy, and certainly all of the alloy and nifty composites are already there for the taking, and I know that we're darn good at taking stuff away from heathens.

Transporting about via rigid airship seems rather obvious.

A little applied physics-101 as for a process of vacuum distillation of obtaining any amounts of H2O from those relatively cool nighttime clouds can't be rocket science.

P.S. There is absolutely NO shortage of renewable energy upon Venus.

More
19 years 11 months ago #2918 by jhonan
We've just about got to grips with landing a probe on Mars. And the success rate of that isn't particularly good either. I'm sure when NASA et al. are deciding on which missions to invest in, they are looking at their chances of success, and what they might discover about the object. Bear in mind that they are now seriously looking at manned missions to certain destinations.

Mars is interesting, Europa is very interesting. Venus, based on data they have already gathered, is an dead rock that's hot enough to melt iron. Probably not the sort of place they'd have as number one on their 'places to explore' list.

What 'rigid airship' transportation are you referring to?

John.

Everyone in Ireland buys Meade, and they all buy them from Lidl.

• bradguth-gasa-ieis
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 11 months ago #2926 by bradguth-gasa-ieis
Replied by bradguth-gasa-ieis on topic Re: Venus Illumination Spots, Lightning or NOT ?
Certainly not one of our rigid airship, though one that we might rent from whomever is there. Perhaps we can get a discount on one of their good but Rent-A-Leak airships.

The terrific buoyancy of the Venus atmospheric ocean is almost too good to be true. It's certainly calm under them clouds, and much cooler at elevation and while operating within the extended season of nighttime.

Below them relatively cool nighttime clouds, say if cruising along at 100 knots and 20 km off the deck is absolutely dry and thereby corrosion proof, whereas even mild steel could remain polished for a decade without any protective coating whatsoever.

Basalt and silica composites are yet another avenue, combined are easily ten fold stronger than alloy steel, and as a material of construction and insulative fill offers an ideal airship structural as well as containment solution.

In fact a one meter thick composite modular unit of airship construction could offer a rather robust structural shell that's actually nearly self-buoyant/m3, and providing R-1024/m at that, if need be capable of sustaining 1000°K while safely containing the likes either H2 or just that of N2 or perhaps a vacuum might be sufficient.

How many thousand tonnes of payload capability would you like to have at your disposal?

Being that we can't hardly keep those Ospreys in the air, certainly can't get ourselves to Mars, much less back (even at that it'll take body-bags), still can't seem to robotically place anything upon the moon (much less land folks and return them), thus obviously that's why I've voted for the robotic TRACE-II solution as stationkeeping at Venus L2 (all total not 1% of Hubble), then if need be deploying a few fully interactive transceiver kiosks on the deck, so that our primitive forms of communications can replace and/or supplement whatever optical communications that so many folks keep insisting is a total waste of time and resources, almost as though our microwave components and of the entire data-link is reliable and cheap (I think NOT).

BTW; use of vacuum tubes on Venus is also NOT rocket science, whereas I believe those nifty suckers would like it hot and nasty (damn little of any cathode energy whatsoever is almost like having a field-effect transistor in a tube), though of open to atmosphere arc lamps seems like an even better notion, at least for the raw function of their transmitting a terabyte worth of packet/ms.

Of what I'd like someone to share upon is, of how much photon energy at exiting Earth atmosphere having a divergence of 0.5 milliradian (I'm assuming that's possible), and at a target range of 50 million km is it going to take how much energy as to be delivering a sufficient number of photons (425~450 nm) upon those nighttime clouds of Venus. I mean, what do we have to lose?

More
19 years 11 months ago #2933 by jhonan
<DELETED>

Not worth it.

Everyone in Ireland buys Meade, and they all buy them from Lidl.

More
19 years 11 months ago #2980 by voyager
Fine, life COULD exists on Venus (at a push IMHO but I'mp repared to give you that). My problem is with this huge leap you are taking from "Life Could Exist" to "Life DOES exist". I rally don't see any evidence to base such a conclusion on. I consider it totally un-scientific to just jump to bizare conclusions and then try to "proove" them correct with the argument "it is possible".

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds