K-Tec

how can there be a black hole in all galaxies?

• fguihen
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
17 years 5 months ago #34903 by fguihen

The matter in a black hole does not cease to exist.

so your saying the matter is converted into huge amounts of energy? or is it converted into some exotic type of matter?

Ive been looking into this a bit, but not being a physist its difficult to comprehend!

"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." Dilbert.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 5 months ago #34904 by gnason

if there is a black hole in the centre of all galaxies, does that mean that eventually all matter in the universe will be sucked in to these and there will be nothing left?

Generally speaking, astronomers do not envisage a supermassive black hole at the centre of a galaxy being able to eat the entire galaxy. Remember that a black hole can only suck in material within the range of its gravitational pull determined by its mass. Purely as an example, as this event can't actually happen, if the Sun suddenly became a black hole, the planets would stay where they are as the gravitational pull of the Sun as a black hole would be the same as it was when a star. Only if objects stray close enough to the black hole would its gravitational pull eventually draw them in. That's how black holes grow. At the centre of a galaxy, a black hole could grow by pulling in passing stars which just happened to get too close in their galactic orbits. The supermassive black hole at the centre of the Milky Way is estimated at 3.2 to 4 million solar masses in a space 10 times smaller than the Earth's orbit around the Sun.

More
17 years 5 months ago #34907 by albertw

I've never heard of the jets being caused by anti-particles. Our universe is pretty much exclusively matter so there are no anti-particles around!

Oh yes there are. Gamma ray satellites looking for radiation at the energy of electron positron annihilation have found plenty in the galactic center.

www.spacetoday.org/DeepSpace/Galaxies/MilkyWay/Antimatter.html

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
17 years 5 months ago #34909 by albertw

to explain the jets of particles, from my understanding, particles are just "appearing" in the universe all the time, but these particles and their antiparticles obliterate eachother, and so its as if they dont exist, but at a black hole, some of the anti particles get sucked over the event horison , leaving the particles as they wont get obliterated by their opposite. these particles are then spewed out of the black hole by this angular momentum. thats how i understand it. and this is what is hawking radiation.

Thats more or less my understanding also. The uncertainty principle tells us that particles and their antiparticles can be created but can only exist for a very short amount of time.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
17 years 5 months ago #34913 by bertthebudgie
Replied by bertthebudgie on topic Re: how can there be a black hole in all galaxies?
Hi just adding my imput to this :D

When we are talking about what happens at the very very end you have to understand that time will be no impedement Things that you dismiss as not being able to happen actually will happen given enough time for chance and things which are improboble occuring.

Therefore eventually the central black hole will gobble up all the matter in the galaxy. The stars which orbit the black hole out in the galaxy
are constamtly interacting with other stars also in orbit aroud the galaxy and thus exchanging orbital energy. Some stars will loose energy (and some gain energy) and thus fall into an orbit which is slightly closer to the black hole then before. In this way they will eventually fall in given enough time. In the same way for instance that we see that some of the globular clusters are now undergoing gravitational collapse.

The solar system would appear to be a pretty stable piece of work with all the orbits of the planets staying in the same place. But if you run it forward 1000s of billions of years into the future u see that they do indeed change orbits. As there is a net loss of orbital energy from the solar system due to gravity waves. It will mean that in the far far far distant future all the planets will eventually fall into the sun (or the freezing cold remnant of it called a black dwarf).

There is the other theory which states that the proton itself is unstable and will itself disassociate into elementary particles. So given enough time we will all just disappear to nothingness.

Eqipment
Lx90 8' SCT, UHC Narrowband filter
SPC900 Webcam, Atik 16ic
Astrozap Dew Heater
Meade eyepieces & barlows 9,26 and 32mm
Moonfish 32mm 2"

"Always pass to the man in space"

More
17 years 5 months ago #34915 by voyager

to explain the jets of particles, from my understanding, particles are just "appearing" in the universe all the time, but these particles and their antiparticles obliterate eachother, and so its as if they dont exist, but at a black hole, some of the anti particles get sucked over the event horison , leaving the particles as they wont get obliterated by their opposite. these particles are then spewed out of the black hole by this angular momentum. thats how i understand it. and this is what is hawking radiation.

I'm no expert but you seem to be mixing up two separate concepts, Jets and Hawking Radiation. They are entirely separate phenomena. Jets are matter being ejected by the accretion process and are powered by excess angular momentum. The matter has not crossed the event-horizon before it is ejected in the jets. Hawking radiation is a really slow quantum process that can be explained by a number of analogies including the one you quoted above. It happens over billions of years and does not result in a powerful jet but an unbeluevably slow trickle of matter presumably in all directions rather than as a concentrated jet.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds