K-Tec

Horizon last night

More
16 years 3 months ago #61649 by philiplardner
Replied by philiplardner on topic Re: Horizon last night
Actually... there probably *is* a plastic sandwich bag nearby - indeed probably quite a few! When the Apollo astronauts placed various instruments on the surface of the moon they were inside very high-tech plastic covers to protect them from the moon dust while they were being handled. Remember, just walking a few yards on the surface of the moon kicks up a lot of electrostatically charged dust which clings to everything. These high-tech bags had a very nifty method of being sealed which is now being used by everyone and his cat back here on Earth - it's called the Zip-Lock Sandwich Bag! :D

Phil.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• dmolloy
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
16 years 3 months ago #61653 by dmolloy
Replied by dmolloy on topic Re: Horizon last night
yes, More chance of Homer simpson going to the moon in this decade....

and another thing. What really got me about the sandwich bag gag was litter

"There we go litter around our artic stations, litter on Everest and now litter on the Moon (not to mention earth orbit)

"Captain Slog star date 300108.25 :shock:

More
16 years 3 months ago #61665 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Horizon last night

Yes, it was interesting I found too. Program is pitched at a general audience, so a mixture of visual effects, engaging dialogue and the entertainment value thrown in is probably called for. I have found “Horizon” programmes to be generally good; they must have the mixture right because the program has been around for a very long time now.

That was the first Horizon I've watched in a while and I thought it was of a lower quality than episodes in the past. Granted I'm pretty familiar with the subject matter, but even so I thought there was a bit to much entertainment (yes we know you are on a road trip in the US... get on with it). The visual effects weren't up to scratch and I would imagine left some of the audience a bit lost. eg. the explanation of LIGO could have been much better illustrated by some nice graphics than by a guest waving his arms. It's not too hard to explain exactly how that works. A quick mention of LISA and the promo graphics for that would have been more interesting than showing him getting lost (again).

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
16 years 3 months ago #61679 by JohnONeill
Replied by JohnONeill on topic A Poor Horizon
Hi,

A Poor Horizon:

There used to be some terrific Horizon programmes in the past. Pity the quality here was rather low. I fell zzz...

John

More
16 years 3 months ago #61702 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
I still enjoyed it though, but your brain would bust thinking about it too much more

Keith..

More
16 years 3 months ago #61709 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Horizon last night
Anyone know when it's on again, a repeat ??

BTW Phil, thats a hillarious avatar :lol: :lol:

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds