K-Tec

Sunspots head up

More
16 years 10 months ago #46808 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: Sunspots head up
Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Trev, I also tried using my newly acquired Baader Solar Continuum filter which supposedly gives even better results. However, I could not reach focus since the view was somewhat dim.

I also have a Baader ND3.8 which allows much more light to pass through and I suspect my next trial will be with the ND3.8 + Solar Continuum. If that also fails (due to a dim image), I will wait until my larger AP instrument arrives to try using the Solar Continuum again.

Peter, it is my understanding that the official names for our Sun and Moon are Sol and Luna respectively. Yes, I would have preferred Helios and Selene but I am stuck with the former pair ... I must admit that I often use Selene anyway.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 10 months ago #46809 by ayiomamitis
PS. Trev, I suggest that you always use the UV-IR/Cut filter so that your net signal will always be purely the visible spectrum. This is the case even for DSO work or, otherwise, your stars will have a purple ring around them (the IR doing its dirty work).

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
16 years 10 months ago #46811 by TrevorDurity
Replied by TrevorDurity on topic Re: Sunspots head up
Hi Anthony,

I'm kicking myself that I sold my continuum filter. It really does make a difference when used with ND3.8. The areas around the sunspots jump out more. It's a bit odd to see the solar disc in bright green when used visually though ;-)

Here are my attempts from today at noon. I never get tired at seeing this stuff.

closeup

wide view in white light

bigger version here
farm2.static.flickr.com/1364/533013194_5e9a755db9_o.jpg

Couldn't use my IR cutoff as it was only 1.25" :oops:

Trev
[/img]

More
16 years 10 months ago #46812 by TrevorDurity

PS. Trev, I suggest that you always use the UV-IR/Cut filter so that your net signal will always be purely the visible spectrum. This is the case even for DSO work or, otherwise, your stars will have a purple ring around them (the IR doing its dirty work).

Yep, I always use it for DSOs although I haven't been doing much of that recently. It makes a huge difference in decreasing star bloat.

Cheers,

Trev

More
16 years 10 months ago #46814 by ayiomamitis

Hi Anthony,

I'm kicking myself that I sold my continuum filter. It really does make a difference when used with ND3.8. The areas around the sunspots jump out more. It's a bit odd to see the solar disc in bright green when used visually though ;-)

Aha, thanks for the tip and confirmation surrounding the use of the ND3.8.

Is the combination of ND3.8 + Solar Continuum safe for visual work so that we can first focus for a minute and then setting the camera loose?

Before I forget, nice photos from today! I am out of action until Friday due to rains and clouds.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
16 years 10 months ago #46815 by TrevorDurity
Hi Anthony,

Is the combination of ND3.8 + Solar Continuum safe for visual work

The ND3.8 is only safe for visual use if you have an IR cutoff filter in the optical train as it lets too much infra-red through.

Trev

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds