K-Tec

Apophis collision probability corrected

More
16 years 1 week ago #67064 by JohnMurphy
Replied by JohnMurphy on topic Re: Apophis collision probability corrected
WRT "Preparing for Major Emergencies"

Anybody who wants to give "THEM" a telling off for wasting OUR money should send an email to oep@defence.irlgov.ie for the attention of Willie O'Dea - DeMinister for Attack (ooops I meant Defence, or is it Offence?)

We should all give them a piece of our minds. This way if they add up all the pieces of mind they may just get enough to have a mind of their own which they may then put to better use in future. :D

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 years 1 week ago #67080 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Apophis collision probability corrected

phoenix wrote:

The fact that the Irish Sea is the most radioactive in the world is purely due to geology. :wink:

In the last year or so Radon levels measured in Cork and Kerry have shown that occupants of two buildings were receiving the equivalent of 40 and 60 x-rays per day. Hopefully, they will spend the same money on helping those poor occupants as they have on trying to "negotiate" with the UK which, less face facts, will treat such negotiations with complete nonchalence - "oh, is that time? I really must be off for tea at number 10. Perhaps my driver can drop you off at Holyhead. Goodbye."

As for the emergency booklet, goodness, what a cynical lot... I have been involved in planning for the amelioration of major accident hazards in my time - from chemical, to nuclear to biological etc. and to be honest, I think its a great idea and reasonably well executed.

Sure, there could have been a lot more information in the booklet but in fairness, who is going to read something the size of the Golden Pages (and pity the poor Postman's back...)? Also, the booklet *does* direct you to further sources of information if you are so inclined.

Remember that this booklet is writen for all people - not just a bunch of cynical science folks on an internet board thingy... I think its useful for the majority of the population and it contains good advice. There are some really good tips in there - so don't dismiss it.

As for "do not douse yourself with petrol and run towards a fire" - you would be surprised how many people do not heed basic common sense - like "do not drink and drive", "wear a seatbelt", "do not speed" - and they pay for it with their lives - worse, they kill innocents too. We all act stupid - hands up anyone who has never had an accident and aftrewards though "what the hell did you do that for, you muppet"...

€0.02

More
16 years 1 week ago #67109 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Apophis collision probability corrected
I just thought that what was in it was pretty obvious stuff.
Maybe if they were targeted towards primary schools........

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 years 1 week ago #67111 by dmcdona

I just thought that what was in it was pretty obvious stuff.

Obvious to *you*. But there's another 4 million or so people who it may not have been so obvious to... You'd be surprised how many people will genuinely appreciate it and see it a positive step forward. After all, the Govt. could have spent the money on something far less useful, like Mahon... :roll:

:wink:

Dave

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 years 1 week ago #67113 by dmcdona
By the way, isn't it so true that the more the cloud, the more off-topic we become... :D

More
16 years 1 week ago #67116 by Calibos
Replied by Calibos on topic Re: Apophis collision probability corrected
To make it sound like I have a more important job than I do, can I say that I hold a customer facing position and interact with the public all day every day (Newsagent :D ). Now while I have the utmost respect for my customers as people. I even like 99% of them, but...........

......by golly is the average person THICK!! :D

As the saying goes, "The problem with common sense is that its not very common"

So I applaud the government for taking this initiative and catering for the emergency information needs of all the morons in the country. :D

The problem is though, that the very people that need to read this booklet the most are the same kind of people who will throw it in the nearest bin without ever having read it.

Keith D.

16" Meade Lightbridge Truss Dobsonian with Servocat Tracking/GOTO
Ethos 3.7sx,6,8,10,13,17,21mm
Nagler 31mm

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds