K-Tec

Apophis collision probability corrected

More
16 years 2 weeks ago #66576 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Apophis collision probability corrected

Anyway Seanie....don't buy baked beans, we are in enough trouble already without increasing the amount of greenhouse gasses in the atmosphere... :lol:

Dave Mac's problem Deco, not mine! I am safe in the knowledge that my orange box of iodine pills will help me survive. Failing that, I also have cyanide pills somewhere... (beter not get the two mixed up, like on Father Ted)

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 2 weeks ago #66578 by dmolloy
Replied by dmolloy on topic Re: Apophis collision probability corrected
sorry corrected that post,

Anyway the generation who might possibly face the threat will be a virtual reality generation.... there was a power cut in my village 3 weeks ago and for only three hours that night there was no electricity....my 14 year old daughter thought the world had ended.....and yes you guessed it, it was cloudy outside. So no observing...I would hate to think what she would do if an asteriod struck :shock:

More
16 years 2 weeks ago #66579 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: Apophis collision probability corrected
Well, we'll know a lot more after the 2029 pass anyway. Not too much point worrying about it now.

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
16 years 2 weeks ago #66580 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Apophis collision probability corrected
I'll worry about it when it happens, until then, its a scientific curiosity.
As for "the whole world coming together to save itself scenario", there is more of a chance of the asteroid hitting :lol:

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
16 years 2 weeks ago #66583 by JohnMurphy
Replied by JohnMurphy on topic Re: Apophis collision probability corrected
1:450 ? Ouch!!! Thats far too close for comfort.

If there was a 1:450 chance that there was a live rattlesnake in your backgarden would you let your kids out to play? I think not, well we now have time to come up with a plan, and time is what we'll need.

Why did Nasa get it so wrong? Its quite a jump from 45,000 to 450. Maybe I can get a job there calibrating their calculators (or other made up job)?

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

More
16 years 2 weeks ago #66587 by iridium.flare
Replied by iridium.flare on topic Re: Apophis collision probability corrected
"If the asteroid strikes a satellite in 2029, that will change its trajectory making it hit earth on its next orbit in 2036."

I'm not sure how they can say that so matter-of-factly. Surely a collision with an unknown satellite for something that has an orbit that's not been nailed down perfectly only may hit Earth in 2036.

I think there's a lot about this article that's sensationalism. Having said that, 1 in 450 is still pretty sobering.

It's worse than that, it's physics Jim!

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds