K-Tec

Comet C/2007 N3 Lulin

More
15 years 2 months ago #76833 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re:Comet C/2007 N3 Lulin
Managed to catch it in binos (10 X 50's) from my backyard in Daingean, but I had to sweep to find it, I couldn't see it with the naked eye. That was at around 20:55hrs. I guessed it to be about 5 to 6 Saturn's in diameter in my field of vision.

But, on my way into work (where I am now) I stopped in the bog 2 miles out the road from home, idled the jeep, and stood in the darkness for about 3 minutes trying to catch it in my averted vision (21:35hrs). And yes, I spotted it. Very diffuse, rather large.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 2 months ago #76836 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re:Comet C/2007 N3 Lulin
Saw it for the first time this evening. About midway between Saturn and Regulus. Easy in binos. Right on the limit for naked-eye visibility here with my skies. In the scope, it has a very small slightly siffuse nucleus. The tail is very diffuse and about 0.75 degrees long. I *thought* I saw traces of the anti-tail, but couldn't swear on it. Haze coming and going here.
Well worth a look.
Michael.

More
15 years 2 months ago #76837 by donalmcnamara
Replied by donalmcnamara on topic Re:Comet C/2007 N3 Lulin
Also managed to spot it in 10 x 50 Binos last night at approx 2030 outside Clonmel. Starting to cloud in so hard to evaluate.

Donal

More
15 years 2 months ago #76838 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re:Comet C/2007 N3 Lulin
I tried getting looking for the comet last night, high level haze made that impossible, barely able to see regulus/saturn, :(

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
15 years 2 months ago - 15 years 2 months ago #76839 by jeyjey
Replied by jeyjey on topic Re:Comet C/2007 N3 Lulin
Seanie's post about pulling over in the Jeep got me to thinking: I need to take a more opportunistic approach to this one. Checking the sky to see if it's clear 2 or 3 times a night isn't going to cut it.

So I duly set up my p-mount & binos in a south-facing window, pulled up a chair, set my sketching stuff on the window cill, and sat down to wait.

Over the next hour and a half I was rewarded with 3 spells of pretty good clarity and 4 or 5 spells viewing through high thin clouds. Lulin was easy naked eye during the clarity (although appeared stellar -- no coma visible), and I'd estimate its brightness at better than mag 5.

I was able to work on some of the brighter field stars even through the high clouds, although I never got enough clear spells to plot all the dimmer ones. I worked mostly on the comet itself during them. The time listed on the sketch is when I plotted the comet's position relative to the field stars. I was working on the sketch from about 23:20 to 0:10.

Cheers,
-- Jeff.

Nikon 18x70s / UA Millennium                              Colorado:
Solarscope SF70 / TV Pronto / AP400QMD             Coronado SolarMax40 DS / Bogen 055+3130
APM MC1610 / Tak FC-125 / AP1200GTO               Tak Mewlon 250 / AP600EGTO
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 years 2 months ago by jeyjey.

More
15 years 2 months ago #76841 by Coldfieldboundary
Replied by Coldfieldboundary on topic Re:Comet C/2007 N3 Lulin
nice sketch: cheer:

comparing with the sky on the computer, the bino field of 6 degrees is obvious! It also seems it was the best observing time, the comet was heighest in the south isn't it

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds