K-Tec

Comet C/2007 N3 Lulin

More
15 years 2 months ago #76355 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re:Comet C/2007 N3 Lulin
Anyone see the piece in today's Star newspaper by Mark Kavanagh? He makes it sound like an extinction event is on its way in the first paragraph that he talks about the comet! Rivetting stuff! :P

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 2 months ago #76361 by Rayman
Replied by Rayman on topic Re:Comet C/2007 N3 Lulin
Yes Seanie, I saw it, a colleague showed it to me (I don't read the Star - I am stating this for no particular reason, I'm sure its a very fine newspaper)! It seems that the poisonous gas will reach us from 38 million miles away, it will manage to get through our atmosphere and kill us all.:laugh: The real scary bit though is that some of the Star readers will believe it!

More
15 years 2 months ago #76365 by Seanie_Morris
Rayman wrote:

Yes Seanie, I saw it, a colleague showed it to me (I don't read the Star - I am stating this for no particular reason, I'm sure its a very fine newspaper)! It seems that the poisonous gas will reach us from 38 million miles away, it will manage to get through our atmosphere and kill us all.:laugh: The real scary bit though is that some of the Star readers will believe it!

...and all just in time for IYA 2009... :silly:

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.

More
15 years 2 months ago #76781 by Coldfieldboundary
Replied by Coldfieldboundary on topic Re:Comet C/2007 N3 Lulin
Constantly it's very bad weather here

Comet Lulin is at its best now, appearing at the evening skies, so I hope to get a chance this week.

My only observation still was on Jan 25 in the morning twilight. My estimate then was mag. 6.8.

As a little reward I spotted the comet 144P Kushida a few times, a slightly giant comet, but rather faint. On Feb 13 estimated mag. 9.6. On Jan 29 estimated mag. 9.3, and was nicely positioned in the Hyades! But he also is becoming fainter now.

More
15 years 2 months ago #76783 by Gareth_OFlaherty
Replied by Gareth_OFlaherty on topic Re:Comet C/2007 N3 Lulin
Hi all,

I have been trying to catch sight of Lulin for a while now, but the weather has been atrocious here in my corner of Kildare for the last two weeks.
Each night I go outside for a quick prelim scan of the nightsky, to be greeted by cloud after cloud after cloud!
:(

I picked a bad time to start stargazing :)

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

More
15 years 2 months ago #76786 by Seanie_Morris
Don't worry about it Gareth, just the luck of the draw. We had almost 8 straight days of clear weather following Christmas at one stage! Can't have 'em all, but patience is a virtue!

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds