K-Tec

Comet Machholz with the Hyades/Pleiades Shot

More
19 years 3 months ago #7721 by James Butler
Replied by James Butler on topic Re: Comet Machholz with the Hyades/Pleiades Shot
Still not convinced about the tails. They point in the wrong direction and come out of the coma both at an odd angle and bend just afterwards thus my belief in that it is just matter caught in the solar wind, which is not technically a tail.

More on the comet here.

cometography.com/lcomets/2004Q2.html

Mentions perihelion date so if there is no tail now there probably won't be one. Mentions C2 emissions which may account for the colour.

James Butler

Astronomy Diary - astronomy-diary.blogspot.com/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
19 years 3 months ago #7723 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Comet Machholz with the Hyades/Pleiades Shot
Really nice shot Keith. Also glad to see someone is keeping one hour photo in business!

Still not convinced about the tails. They point in the wrong direction and come out of the coma both at an odd angle and bend just afterwards thus my belief in that it is just matter caught in the solar wind, which is not technically a tail.

James,

See this link

hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/solar/comet.html

This is how I understand the ion tail and dust tails point in different directions. Gravity is the key.

Also see

encke.jpl.nasa.gov has somew great photos showing both tails.

Dave.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
19 years 3 months ago #7729 by albertw

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
19 years 3 months ago #7733 by James Butler
Replied by James Butler on topic Re: Comet Machholz with the Hyades/Pleiades Shot

Really nice shot Keith. Also glad to see someone is keeping one hour photo in business!

James,

See this link

hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/solar/comet.html

This is how I understand the ion tail and dust tails point in different directions. Gravity is the key.

Also see

encke.jpl.nasa.gov has somew great photos showing both tails.

Dave.

I shouldn't think gravity would have much to do with it. It's just that neither tail points directly away from the sun and neither away from the line of travel. Instead both are equidistant from the line of travel therefore neither are related to the sun's solar wind nor trail directly behind.

James Butler

Astronomy Diary - astronomy-diary.blogspot.com/

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds