K-Tec

Comet Machholz with the Hyades/Pleiades Shot

More
19 years 3 months ago #7700 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Comet Machholz with the Hyades/Pleiades Shot
Excellent images Keith,
I was wondering how you got that electric blue view of the pleiades until I read that you used film, films not dead and gone yet :wink:
I see 2 tails on your image one pointing in the 5 o'clock direction and another in the 10 o'clock position, I suppose one is the ion tail while the other is the dust tail.
Just out of curiosity, how far from a town are you or are you in one (light pollution) ??

Can someone tell why this comet is green, as was Linear earlier this year.
I havent seen may comets, but I've seen a few.
Before this year, I've never seen a pic of a green one....

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Keith g
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
19 years 3 months ago #7703 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
Dave, glad you like the shot :D I'm on the outskirts of a town of about 4,000 population, so light pollution is getting bad as it's still expanding with development. This was taken from a shaded area in my backyard so there's still hope yet! I did'nt go to a dark site as i don't trust those clouds :(

Everybody says the comet is green, visually, digital or film, must be what it is made of, it's unlike a lot of other comets, maybe it originated from way out there, there's definitely something different about it, i'm sure we'll here more on it yet.

Keith..

More
19 years 3 months ago #7704 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Comet Machholz with the Hyades/Pleiades Shot
My v. limited understanding of comets is that you can get a few types of tails. Firstly, the main tail that we normally associate with a comet does not necessarily point away from the direction of travel but points away from the Sun. A second tail (which is usually fainter) can sometimes be seen which is actually pointing relative to the direction of travel.

Useful links:
www.matter-antimatter.com/tails_of_comets.htm
hubblesite.org/reference_desk/faq/answer...&cat=solarsystem
www.space.com/scienceastronomy/solarsystem/comets-ez.html

Clear skies,

More
19 years 3 months ago #7708 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Comet Machholz with the Hyades/Pleiades Shot

Firstly, the main tail that we normally associate with a comet does not necessarily point away from the direction of travel but points away from the Sun.

The ion tail,

A second tail (which is usually fainter) can sometimes be seen which is actually pointing relative to the direction of travel.
Clear skies,

The dust tail.

Two green comets in the space of a year, maybe worth looking in the Bible code or in the Da Vinci codes. :wink:

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
19 years 3 months ago #7712 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Comet Machholz with the Hyades/Pleiades Shot
www.oarval.org/section3_15.htm

There is often a filamentary structured tail which is bluish and a series of more amorphous tails which are yellowish.

Mabey this explains it??

More
19 years 3 months ago #7715 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Comet Machholz with the Hyades/Pleiades Shot
I can make out the hint of a tail in that 9 o'clock direction alright.

Fantastic shot Keith! Great to see film can still do it!

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds