K-Tec

Iceland chooses darkness

More
17 years 4 months ago #36204 by jhoare
Replied by jhoare on topic Re: Iceland chooses darkness
Where does the idea that lights deter crime come from? My next door neighbours' alarm did the job when a burglar tried to remove a pane of glass from the living room window but the bright streetlight beaming down on him so that anyone passing could see him clearly had no effect at all. Who's going to be passing at 4 am? A blind drunk neighbour if you're lucky, certainly not our bold gens sans armes.

John

Better that old people should die of talk than to have young people die in war.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 4 months ago #56686 by xual
Replied by xual on topic Re: Iceland chooses darkness
If anything lights assist crime cause criminals can see what they're doing at night !!!! :-) Less lights and ban torches.. no crime at night.. problem solved

That idea in Iceland is class. Some clear night in March we should do it here.. Actually try and learn the nation some smarts about the heavens.

I'm gonna scald the council in Carlow about it. This is my mission. I'm like that guy who built the rocket and went to the moon.. Whats his name. .. Apollo creed

• albertw
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Secretary
  • IFAS Secretary
More
16 years 4 months ago #56696 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Iceland chooses darkness

That idea in Iceland is class. Some clear night in March we should do it here.. Actually try and learn the nation some smarts about the heavens.

I'm gonna scald the council in Carlow about it. This is my mission. I'm like that guy who built the rocket and went to the moon.. Whats his name. .. Apollo creed

Good! Let us know how you get on. Hopefully there will be some streetlight turn off at some stage during the International Year of Astronomy in 2009.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
16 years 4 months ago #56704 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: Iceland chooses darkness
Looking south tonight towards Bray the light pollution was worse then i can ever remember. Must be all the christmas lights on peoples houses. Either that or there is a raging forest fire up the Dublin mountains(not likely).

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

More
16 years 4 months ago #56708 by Calibos
Replied by Calibos on topic Re: Iceland chooses darkness
See my Frenchman thread in Observing reports for my comments on the Bray Sky Glow......from the INSIDE!! :D Its usually just to the north of my from the Mainstreet area but it was all the way round tonight. I think its just more moisture/mist in the air than normal. Was fine last week and the XMas lights were on then too! :D

Keith D.

16" Meade Lightbridge Truss Dobsonian with Servocat Tracking/GOTO
Ethos 3.7sx,6,8,10,13,17,21mm
Nagler 31mm

• albertw
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Secretary
  • IFAS Secretary
More
16 years 4 months ago #56715 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Iceland chooses darkness
Those of you upset by Bray might like to join the ILPAC list and give David Wilcoxson a hand with getting the council there to do something.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds