K-Tec

Iceland chooses darkness

More
17 years 6 months ago #33663 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Iceland chooses darkness
I'd love to see this happen here, was the crime rate in iceland affected by this on that night?

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• albertw
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Secretary
  • IFAS Secretary
More
17 years 6 months ago #33668 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Iceland chooses darkness

I'd love to see this happen here, was the crime rate in iceland affected by this on that night?

I havent managed to find out much in the way of reports from the event yet. I'll keep looking.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

• albertw
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Secretary
  • IFAS Secretary
More
17 years 6 months ago #33754 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Iceland chooses darkness
www.icelandreview.com/icelandreview/dail...amp;ew_0_a_id=234072

Stars blocked by clouds as Reykjavík goes dark(er)

Cloud cover blocked the stars yesterday evening as Reykjavík’s streetlights were turned off in order to enable city residents to have a better view of the sky. In other respects the darkening of Reykjavík went well. The lights were shut off at 10pm sharp in connection with the opening of the Reykjavík International Film Festival, and were turned back on half an hour later. This is reported in all the main media.

Reykjavík residents flocked into the streets to take part in the experience. Yet a slight sense of disappointment prevailed as a result of the cloud cover and also as there was still light visible even with the absence of streetlights. Businesses did not shut off their lights and there was a great deal of traffic on main roads and in the downtown area. Some sports arenas also failed to turn off their floodlights.

Foreign media showed considerable interest in the initiative, including the Washington Post in the US and Aftonbladed in Norway.

----

Someone asked about crime on the night. I don't know about the night in question but the following is running on the same news site "An out of control ice cream lover broke into a transport truck two nights ago and is still roaming the streets of the capital." :-)

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
17 years 6 months ago #33762 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Iceland chooses darkness

"An out of control ice cream lover broke into a transport truck two nights ago and is still roaming the streets of the capital."

Cheers,
~Al

Get yer pitchforks out

More
17 years 6 months ago #33767 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Iceland chooses darkness
Won't somebody PLEEZE think of the children!

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
17 years 6 months ago #34157 by Tony Lowes
Replied by Tony Lowes on topic Iceland chooses darkness
It WOULD be great to have a go at this here in Ireland - can we tie it in with events elsewhere? Shame we didn't know when Iceland was doing it - it was part of a film festival?
Tony

Editorial: Turn out the lights, stare at the stars
07 October 2006
From New Scientist Print Edition

There are not many things in the natural environment that all humans from all times and in all places can claim to have shared. One is the night sky - or at least it was until city lights obliterated for most of us this most potent reminder of our place in the universe.

Last week in Reykjavik the people of Iceland sought to reconnect with this great shared experience. For half an hour, they turned off the street lights and persuaded most households to dim their lighting so that everyone in the city could gaze at the stars.

There is something grand and humbling about this collective act that we could all usefully share. Outside Iceland, campaigners against light pollution seem reluctant to push the idea, so we're taking up the gauntlet. Let every country set aside an hour each year when we turn out the lights. European city-dwellers will not have seen anything like it since the dark days of the second world war - except now they will be able to enjoy the spectacle in wonder rather than fear. If Reykjavik this year, why not London or New York next?

Of course, nature will not oblige everywhere. Last week in Iceland, many saw nothing but a blanket of cloud. Some will quibble over the practicalities. Wouldn't criminals have a field day? Probably not, since criminals need light as much as anyone to do their worst. Like the rest of us, they would simply have to stand and stare.

Tony Lowes
Allihies,
Co. Cork
087 2176316
"I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones".
(John Cage)

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds