K-Tec

Total Solar Eclipse success from Turkey!

More
18 years 4 weeks ago #25981 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Total Solar Eclipse success from Turkey!
Great shots there Tugrul.
But this now begs an important question, we are all returning from Turkey tonight and over the next week or so there is going to be a deluge of eclipse imageson this site, there are at least 15 I want to put up, some bigger then others, I took over 330!, and there are atleast 5 other people who'll be putting up shots also.
Maybe make a Solar Eclipse folder in the Astro Photography section and in there have folders using peoples names, just to keep things organised.
I`ll try keep my images under 100k, or is there a different limit?

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 4 weeks ago #25987 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Total Solar Eclipse success from Turkey!

I`ll try keep my images under 100k, or is there a different limit?

Dave,
from the point of view on size, the 100KB limit is a guideline for this site, as bandwidth is a problem. If images are hosted on another site and linked to that site with image tags on IFAS, you can have them any size you want, as they are then not being downloaded IN IFAS!

Just don't forget about those on dial-up!

:D

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
18 years 3 weeks ago #26013 by Equinox
Replied by Equinox on topic Re: Total Solar Eclipse success from Turkey!
It was amazing! It was my first and I've been so excited about it for years. Even watching the moon going across the sun slowly through the binoculars was cool! I've never even seen a partial before (damn Irish weather!).

It was such a strange sensation when the light started to dim. It was still pretty bright but I noticed it was dimmer than it was because the whiteish steps going into the resteraunt weren't dazzling me anymore. I don't think I would have noticed it being slightly dimmer otherwise, but after that it got dim faster. And it got colder. It was such a wierd light because it wasn't at all like the sun setting or a cloud passing over the sun or anything.

The few seconds before totality were so cool. I didn't see the shadow coming towards us but just the way it got so dark. During totality it wasn't as dark as I though it would be, which made me happy because it was better for my photos! I only have a 50mm lens, no zoom or anything so I wanted something in the foreground while taking a picture of the corona, other was it would look to insignificant. And it was still bright enough to get a bit of tree in the picture too. I'm leaving the film in tomorrow and I really hope the come out! I was also trying a time lapse photo during the build up to totality and after but I accidently moved my camera so it won't all be on one frame. Plus I wanted seperate shots for the corona.

Looking at the corona through the binoculars was amazing. The detail was unreal. I mean I've seen that so often in photos but to see it for yourself is indescribable! And just looking up at it with the naked eye is also wow!

China in 2008 anyone? :p

More
18 years 3 weeks ago #26017 by cloudsail
Replied by cloudsail on topic Re: Total Solar Eclipse success from Turkey!
I did notice the wind go from dead calm to a cool sea breeze before totality. I'd have to agree, totality sure seemed shorter than the 1998 Antigua totality, but this time I was trying to keep one eye on Ciara and another on cameras, with just one left over for the eclipse ;-) In Antigua I was just concentrating on asking Ginnie to marry me!

In the end, the filter stayed on the film SLR, the binocs didn't get used during totality, the video cam didn't seem to catch the shadow coming or going. But one of my favorite of our photos was this wide angle shot I took with my Casio QV-4000 (missing lens element makes it ~F1.4 semi fisheye instead of a F2 zoom), and the two photos in the same photostream my wife took with her little Canon SD-300.

It was an amazing event with a wonderful group of people. There is so much to see in that part of Turkey and the Manavgat site or weather couldn't have been better. Did you notice the horse riding down the beach just before totality? I'll bet he was spooked!

More
18 years 3 weeks ago #26022 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Total Solar Eclipse success from Turkey!
That's a lovely picture. The colours are super and the foreground activity and trees set it off just perfectly.

I saw the horse - an enterprising Turk selling rides on the poor thing. I bet they both got a fright! I also believe there was a guy angle-grinding on a local building for the whole event bar totality :roll:

Cheers

Dave

More
18 years 3 weeks ago #26024 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Total Solar Eclipse success from Turkey!

China in 2008 anyone? :p

Just been looking at the path and the cities on it. China isnt great for this unfortunately. There are some cities near the path, and some really great places to visit within a couple of hundred kilometers from places like Xi'an. However the eclipse is near sunset there and we would need not only clear skies, but clear horizon skies to see the eclipse at 10 degrees or so. Further west there are smaller cities, which will be harder to get to.

Novosibirsk looks like the easy option for 2008. Perhaps the Chinese books should be put away until Shanghai in 2009.

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds