K-Tec

Anyone see the comet go by M57 last night ??

More
17 years 11 months ago #27982 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: Anyone see the comet go by M57 last night ??
The sky cleared up beautifuly from Maghera last night just after the meeting and despite the bright lingering twilight the sky over head was dark with a glorious milkyway, the trans was excellent with a very clean sky thanks to the showers earlier in the day. While talking on the phone to John i observed 73P SW3 fragments B and C with the 10X50 binos. B was a stunning bright comet in Pegasus at 5th mag (or brighter?) sporting a brillant moderately condensed coma (DC6) that was shaped like an elongated diamond in the anti solar direction which merged with a slender dust tail 1 degree long. The central condensation was a stellar object with a coma that has increased in size since my last obsv several days ago, i noticed even in the binos that there was material extending from the coma in a sunward direction that looked a little like an anti - tail however CCD images have shown this feature to be a bright jet. The comet was an easy naked eye object hanging over my neighbours rooftop beside an aerial..comet looks great! had a closer look at both comets with the 8.5" reflt stopped for a nosy at M15 then retired for the night at 03.00.

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds