Copernicus in Lunar Grey's

• DeirdreKelleghan
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
More
17 years 6 months ago #34945 by DeirdreKelleghan
Copernicus in Lunar Grey's was created by DeirdreKelleghan

Crater Copernicus is undoubtedly one of the best known and most typical lunar formations. It is a centre of bright rays, which can best be traced on the surface of Mare Imbrium. To the north of Copernicus is a group of scattered solitary hills, which rise to a height of several hundred metres.
Named after Nicholaus Copernicus a Polish astronomer,one of the founders of modern astronomy. - Moon Mars and Venus by Rukl

Copernicus
01/11/06
17:45 UT - 18:30 UT
Conte Crayons
300gm Daler Rowney Paper
Sky Watcher 200mm
8mm TVP eyepiece
Bray Co Wicklow Ireland
Humidity 70%Temp 9C
Lat: 53:11:44N (53.1955) Lon: 6:06:31W (-6.1086)
Seeing 2
Transparency Average

About six weeks ago I went out a bought all the shades of grey I see on the moon's surface in Conte crayons.

Last night I decided to jump in a have a go at using them on black paper. Copernicus looked challenging in 80% illumination.I was tempted to go back to pencil on white, as it is more familiar to me.

I found the crayons interesting but difficult to work with, no points just edges. Some of them broke in my hand and gave better more usable edges after a while.

I intend to have another try at this as I am fascinated by the variety of grey's on the lunar surface. I would like to achieve the splat grey on top of splat grey effect that I observe, which is difficult to reproduce in ordinary pencil sketches.

Deirdre Kelleghan
Irish Astronomical Society
www.irishastrosoc.org

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 6 months ago #34949 by ftodonoghue
Replied by ftodonoghue on topic Re: Copernicus in Lunar Grey's
Thats a great sketch D.

I think you captured the lighting on the ridged walls and the central peaks v well.

Cheers
Trevor

More
17 years 6 months ago #34951 by philiplardner
Replied by philiplardner on topic Re: Copernicus in Lunar Grey's
Dee - another beautiful sketch! I don't know if it's the paper, the crayons or the artist, but the background texture to the drawing is excellent. It gives the impression of countless impact craters just beyond the resolution of the eye. Keep 'em coming!

Phil.

More
17 years 6 months ago #34958 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: Copernicus in Lunar Grey's
Not only is that a great sketch Dee it is art. I'd LOVE to have a large version of that sketch framed and hanging on my wall! You have a great talent for drawing astronomical objects and particularly the Moon.

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
17 years 6 months ago #34970 by pmgisme
Replied by pmgisme on topic Re: Copernicus in Lunar Grey's
Real Art with a big "A" Deirdre.

Your "Maybe Letronne" is already on my wall.

This will join it.

(Hope I'm not breaching copyright!)

Peter.

More
17 years 6 months ago #34976 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Re: Copernicus in Lunar Grey's
Dee.

Mesmerising.

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds