Did anyone else see this bright meteor/meteorite

• dave_lillis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
17 years 3 months ago #40485 by dave_lillis
Hi,
I got a phone call from Conn (SAC P.R.O.) and he was telling me that he got a phone call from a guy living towards Bird Hill north east of Limerick, he says he saw a very bright meteor heading from west to east and he reckons it struck ground in the Bird hill area, this was at about 10.30 last night (Saturday 3rd February)
The guy knew to ring Conm from the newspaper articles and is not a SAC member so details are scanty.
Any one else see it ??

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 3 months ago #40542 by Rice
The Sunday Independent carried a report about a shower of meteors- no times given as far as I recall. It also stated that there reports from Wales as well as from Cork /Kerry

The reports seemed to indicate the objects fell into the sea

ULT

More
17 years 3 months ago #40543 by jmcc5
I didn't see the one on saturday but both myself and my dad saw the same one last night at around 7.10pm. It appeared to come from around Orion heading roughly in an east direction. It was quite bright, a kind of golden colour. It was visible for about 3-4 seconds

Joanna
Cork Astronomy Club

More
17 years 3 months ago #40546 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Did anyone else see this bright meteor/meteorite
Nothing from around here. Though I have posted here about a seperate sighting from an e-mail TAS received yesterday.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
17 years 3 months ago #40564 by John
Hi my name is John Jones,
I was observing Saturn on Saturday night between 8.25 and 8.30pm and I just happened to look overhead when this magnificent fireball came from Gemini and traveled south to Orion.It was white with orange "flames" behind it. I lost sight then because of a two-storey house.A couple of seconds after I'd lost it I saw a massive green flash in the southern sky. Did anyone else see this?

• dave_lillis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
17 years 3 months ago #40577 by dave_lillis
Wow John, that sounds like something special.
Maybe the earth passed through a stream of debris over the past few days with all this meteor activity.
Its quite possibly that this is what they saw, the time given by me is probabily not accurate.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds