K-Tec

Did anyone else see this bright meteor/meteorite

More
17 years 3 months ago #40616 by Peter207
I can't belive my luck or rather lack of it. I was sat indoors on the phone to my brother when throught the partly opened blinds on the window next to me I saw an epic fire ball break up. I was so impressed that I went to the window to listen to the bang of what I thought was my neighbour letting off a firework! (living up a hill with very dark skies I have a great observing site). When there was no bang I realised that it was meteor, funnly the coastguard got quite a few reports of 'white flares' that night as well, which to be honest I could well belive. Why wasn't there any forecast of these events! :P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• dave_lillis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
17 years 3 months ago #40619 by dave_lillis
Hi Peter,
Can you give us date/time your location and where in the sky it occurred.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
17 years 3 months ago #40642 by ctr

Wow John, that sounds like something special.
Maybe the earth passed through a stream of debris over the past few days with all this meteor activity.
Its quite possibly that this is what they saw, the time given by me is probabily not accurate.

Just wondering if they could be bits of the Chinese satellite blown up recently :?:

Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver

• dave_lillis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
17 years 3 months ago #40693 by dave_lillis
Given all the very recent meteor activity reported here on the boards, you never know.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
17 years 3 months ago #40695 by Paul FitzGerald
Replied by Paul FitzGerald on topic Re: Did anyone else see this bright meteor/meteorite

Just wondering if they could be bits of the Chinese satellite blown up recently :?:

My uncle reported seeing a fireball on Sat. night 3rd Feb. at ~8.45pm in the Ballinasloe area, Co. Galway.
It was going in a westerly direction. Being a farmer, he's seen many before.
But what was unusual was that he described it as being a BLUE :!: fireball initially, then turning yellow. It wasn't going at any particular pace either.
Due to the colour, he was almost discounting it as fireworks.

Couldn't metal on re-entry perhaps burn blue... :?:

Paul Fitz
MAC Treasurer

'Astronomy shows how small and insignificant and rare and precious we all are.' - Contact.

More
17 years 3 months ago #40702 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Did anyone else see this bright meteor/meteorite

Couldn't metal on re-entry perhaps burn blue... :?:

Yes and no! A lot of Magnesium-based meteors give a blue-white colour, but a lot of ferrite (iron)-based meteors give off a yellow/orange-white colour.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds