• bertthebudgie
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
17 years 1 month ago #42572 by bertthebudgie
Dark site?? was created by bertthebudgie
HI all

On the way back from Cosmos on Sunday I was able to do some scouting around for some potential dark sites relatively free from intrusive lighting and heavy light polution and came across a place called Louch Ennell. About 6 miles south of Mullingar (And more importantly an hour from dublin :))there is a public carpark clearly marked on the map.

Id imagine Mullingar direction would be a bit murky but everywhere else should be fine.

There is a big car park there and another smaller potential site a bit down the road with fairly good views/aspects. Anybody in that neck of the woods know of any issues with this place why it wouldnt be good for an observing site?

Anyway I was going to go down there when clear skies are next forcast some weekend soon. So if anyone is interested in meeting up for an observing session send me a PM

DB.

Eqipment
Lx90 8' SCT, UHC Narrowband filter
SPC900 Webcam, Atik 16ic
Astrozap Dew Heater
Meade eyepieces & barlows 9,26 and 32mm
Moonfish 32mm 2"

"Always pass to the man in space"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 1 month ago #42578 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Dark site??
It a long way from me but I think I know where you are talking about.
If you are passing Mullingar heading towards Castlebar direction and a few miles after passing Mullingar, there is a lake+ car parking spaces on the left, is this where you are describing, not that I'd be able to go been so far away.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
17 years 1 month ago #42590 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Dark site??
Dave Lillis,
that brings you to the north side of the lake, right within the light pollution range of the industrial sites in Mullingar's south side.

Dave Brannigan,
the place you described is called Lilliput (Jonathan Swift National Park), and is close to Kilbeggan on the lakes most southern tip. It is a really nice place to visit in the day, walk or drive around, plenty of fishing there. But, at night, it is a place for courting couples and the like! ;) Well, it used to be. There is an adventure centre there, so maybe things, like access, have been tightened up in the last year?

There are some areas around the lake that could be used as observing sites, I have seen them before. But I never actually got out and took a walk around to suss out things like trespassing etc.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• bertthebudgie
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
17 years 1 month ago #42608 by bertthebudgie
Replied by bertthebudgie on topic Re: Dark site??
Yes it is the Lillyput site.

I didnt see any tresspassing signs and it is a public carpark. Plenty of signs for fishing and what fish you are allowed to catch at what time of year and no camping thats all. Any private area is well fensed off. If the carpark isnt suitable for any reason if you go to the right then a small road takes you down along the lake shore(past a small boat house on the left) to a small area where you could park and set up.

Courting couples! Hey some people would say thats a perfect opportunity to do a bit of outreach. First part of the night the earth moves then they see the heavens move!!

I remember in the good ol days at Douce car park the odd car would pull in but then head off shortly afterwards. :lol:

DB

Eqipment
Lx90 8' SCT, UHC Narrowband filter
SPC900 Webcam, Atik 16ic
Astrozap Dew Heater
Meade eyepieces & barlows 9,26 and 32mm
Moonfish 32mm 2"

"Always pass to the man in space"

More
17 years 1 month ago #42610 by ftodonoghue
Replied by ftodonoghue on topic Re: Dark site??
I had an experience like this during the week. i went to my local semi dark site and there was a car already pulled in. I dont know what they were doing, but as soon as they say the tripod come out, they were not long heading off..

Cheers
Trevor

More
17 years 1 month ago #42622 by darren
Replied by darren on topic dark site
Hi Dave where you are talking about is fine I do a lot of fishing their, but why go so far when you can come to croughan really good sites just ask Seanie he will verify this regards Darren

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds