• galwayskywatchers
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
16 years 8 months ago #50674 by galwayskywatchers
Fireball tonight was created by galwayskywatchers
Just an enquiry if anyone else saw this on a wonderful dark Friday night

At 11.27pm I saw a brilliant fireball due north, starting above and slightly east of UMa it decended until disappearing below my northern horizon in Lynx. IIt left a bright orange-white trail and lasted several seconds. Estimated magnitude was -9 to -10, as was much brighter than a -8 typical iridium flare and also lit up that portion of the sky.

Has anyone else seen it?

Ronan Newman
GalwayAC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 8 months ago #50675 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
Me too !!! :shock: It was brilliant, I watched it grow from magnitude 2 or so to about -4 or -5 in a few seconds, this was slow moving, northwest of ursa major from where I am in Cavan, it left a fantastic orange tail before breaking up a little and disappearing.....

I was photographing at the time, but not in that direction though

Keith..

More
16 years 8 months ago #50682 by Frank Ryan
Replied by Frank Ryan on topic Re: Fireball tonight
Shannonside saw it also.
We were holding an observing session at our site and
3 or 4 of the lads saw it.

My Astrophotography
Shannonside Astronomy Club __________________________________________
Meade ETX-125PE, Bresser 10 x 50 Binos & Me Peepers

More
16 years 8 months ago #50683 by philiplardner
Replied by philiplardner on topic Re: Fireball tonight
I'll be setting up an all-sky ultra low light (0.0003lux) bolide camera when I get home from holidays (next week, some time) to automatically record fireballs and other transient sky phenomina - the camera and other hardware are already winging their way to me from across the pond.

Once I get it set up and running, the automated frame-grabbing software will feed the images into a central computer (along with images from many other cameras) to form part of a bolide detection network that spans the globe and can triangulate the trajectories of meteoroids as they fall to Earth or skip through the atmosphere.

If it is successful, I would like to set up a second camera in the west or south of the country - preferably away from light pollution. Would anyone out there be interested in participating? It would require you to keep a PC running 24-7-365 with an internet (broadband) connection also running 24-7-365, so serious callers only!

Phil.

• galwayskywatchers
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
16 years 8 months ago #50707 by galwayskywatchers
Replied by galwayskywatchers on topic Re: Fireball tonight
Keith, like myself camera always is facing the wrong way when something spectacular appears, would have made an amazing image.

Ronan Newman
Galway AC

More
16 years 8 months ago #50714 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
It would have made a super image - imagine a bright orange meteor streak across the sky...pity...may be next time?

Keith..

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds