K-Tec

Black blob over malahide 1745 UTC heading north.

• cloudsail
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
16 years 7 months ago #51431 by cloudsail
My 4-year old daughter noticed it first, at about 17:43 UTC (18:43 IST) Even with the naked eye it was obcious the object didn't resemble an ordinary jet, perhaps it was a very high ultralight or wayward EAA experiment from Oshkosh (where I went to University). My first photos with a 50mm lens were timestamped 17:45 UTC 23 Sept 2007. The object appeared as high as an airplane that wasn't on final approach but below the (altocumulous?) cloud ceiling and heading north at approximately the same speed as these clouds. By time I'd switched to the 70-210mm + 1.7 teleconvertor, the object had already passed over our house and appeared directly above Pope John Paul National school Malahide, heading North NW towards upper Broadmeadows estuary. I mightn't have a chance to upload the photos tonight and since I didn't see any lights' the object probably won't be seen in county Meath or Northern Ireland tonight. But if it is, I hope someone can get a better look. The best shots show an undulating blob that changes aspect from a saucer (yeah, I know it's a cliche), to something weirder. If a giant parade balloon shaped like Mr. incredible or Bertie or something even weirder had gone adrift, it would be a perfect explanation. Beyond that I'd say that its proof that we should keep our eyes open ;-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 7 months ago #51433 by dogstar
Hey can't wait to see the photo

oh wise man why is the universe so perfect?ah because symmetry loves herself.

11" sct,
various Apo refractors,
various cameras,
Losmandy mount.

More
16 years 7 months ago #51434 by Frank Ryan

I mightn't have a chance to upload the photos tonight

:shock:
Awww dude!
Way to go to keep a guy hangin'!!!
:D

My Astrophotography
Shannonside Astronomy Club __________________________________________
Meade ETX-125PE, Bresser 10 x 50 Binos & Me Peepers

• cloudsail
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
16 years 7 months ago #51435 by cloudsail

These images are highly cropped from 3008X2000 pixel originals shot with a Pentax *IST DL through an old 70-210mm Zoom lens with 1.7X teleextender/AF adapter. Focal length approximately 357mm, (CCD is APS size so effective 35mm focal length is longer)

The view through my 50mm f1.4 lens to give you an idea of how small and/or far up it was, as well as another rotation views are here: www.flickr.com/photos/56962726@N00 .

O.K. What is it?

More
16 years 7 months ago #51437 by dmcdona
Jumbo

More
16 years 7 months ago #51438 by dogstar
I'd say the runaway prade ballon is not a bad guess but strange none the less thanks for sharing.

oh wise man why is the universe so perfect?ah because symmetry loves herself.

11" sct,
various Apo refractors,
various cameras,
Losmandy mount.

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds