K-Tec

Clear tonight?

More
16 years 6 months ago #53009 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Clear tonight?
I think the thought of seeing Mars is getting to you Frank :lol:
did you manage to see it ?

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 6 months ago #53016 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Clear tonight?
Yeah, when you've got a bright Moon around this time of year, it cn be hard to drag any instruments out. Haze (light fog) all over the gaff. It was quite hazy this morning albeit clear skies at dawn. It's a pity we didn't have the Shuttle/ISS passing overhead from launch yesterday. I would have been reeling with a new astrohotography opportunity! ;)

Seanie,

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
16 years 6 months ago #53018 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
No joy either for me last night, same story - too much fog, haze, moon, neighbours light :evil:

Keith..

More
16 years 6 months ago #53022 by jeyjey
Replied by jeyjey on topic Re: Clear tonight?
You guys missed out. I dragged my ass out of bed at 2:45, got the observatory opened up, and a quick check of seeing revealed Pickering 8 (out of 10)!

I figured that was good enough to do a collimation tune-up, which I did with the primary mirror locked in the binoviewer position. I was observing Mars by about 3:15.

I tried 15mm TV Plossls, 15mm RKEs, and 18mm Pentax SMC orthos. Surprisingly, the RKEs and orthos showed the better color, although the RKEs suffered the most from ghosting and glare reflected from my eyeball. Still, the image scale was better at 15mm (450x), so I spent about 75% of the time with the RKEs, and 25% with the Pentax orthos.

I put in a total of about 45 min and even did my first sketch! Got everything closed up and was back in bed by 4:15.

-- Jeff.

Nikon 18x70s / UA Millennium                              Colorado:
Solarscope SF70 / TV Pronto / AP400QMD             Coronado SolarMax40 DS / Bogen 055+3130
APM MC1610 / Tak FC-125 / AP1200GTO               Tak Mewlon 250 / AP600EGTO

More
16 years 6 months ago #53026 by TrevorDurity
Replied by TrevorDurity on topic Re: Clear tonight?
Clouded out here last night as well. We had a clear night two weeks ago so there's still another 2 weeks to go until another one :lol:

More
16 years 6 months ago #53078 by Jononeill
Replied by Jononeill on topic Re: Clear tonight?
Same situation as Frank I might try my hand at the Comet Holmes and see if I can pick up any tail. but I guess as the the bright moon might shine it out.

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds