K-Tec

Shooting star?? 25th Oct

More
16 years 6 months ago #54096 by cherylkarma
Replied by cherylkarma on topic Just wondering........
Just following up my previous email, and was wondering if anyone heard, or found out anything else regarding the object that I saw on the 25th?

The thing that got me the most was the fact that it was still glowing strong when it went into the low cloud, I cant get it out of my head.

So, any news???

Cheers Cheryl

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 6 months ago #54124 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic Re: Shooting star?? 25th Oct
Hi Cheryl

I didn’t see that particular fireball in question but have witnessed similar natural events such as the one you have described. I have two sensitive CCD video cameras for recording meteors onto a PC used in conjunction with specialized software for triggering the system.
I have quite a number of videos of both bright and dim meteors, the ISS, manmade satellites etc, the system is unfortunately not used continuously for this work since I used the two cameras between imaging in my telescope and then using them for sky patrol, I hope to remedy this situation soon with the purchase of a new MallinCam hyper camera.
I recorded a rather nice bright meteor on camera (~ magnitude -3) on the morning of 26th October at about 2:40 BST using the 12mm F0.8 lens. The meteor had a trajectory between the constellations of Gemini and Cancer, it was uniformly bright and remain that way for the whole travel path of the cameras FOV which covers ~ 22 x 29 degrees, (the Moon for comparison is 0.5 degrees diameter) before disappearing behind some low level clouds in the east, an amazing sight indeed.
These AVI video files are rather large (hundreds of megabytes on average) so I cannot place them here for viewing, both IFAS and AI (Astronomy Ireland) will accept any reports of meteors and especially reports of fireballs, if you get them on camera then all the better.

Keep watching the skies

Mike

I83 Cherryvalley Observatory

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say; "I WANT TO SEE THE MANAGER".

More
16 years 5 months ago #55295 by cherylkarma
Replied by cherylkarma on topic Im way too slow
Hi Mike,

Just a quick reply, I am way too slow to get anything on camera, after all the ooo's and ahhh's when I do eventually realise Ive seen something special or spectacular, go to grab anything that resembles a camera, its all too late, but if anyone comes up with something to plug into my head, I would for sure be more than glad to share!!

Cheers Cheryl :lol:

More
16 years 5 months ago #55538 by gbyrne
Replied by gbyrne on topic Re: Shooting star?? 25th Oct
Tonight (Sunday 2nd Dec) at roughly the same time 7:45 - 8, in a NE direction I also saw a fireball (or something like). Flashed across the sky with a Long tail, approx 3 seconds, amazing sight, would have been great to catch on camera.

Cheers,
Gary.

Equipment:
Celestron NexStar 8 SE
Celestron NexImage
Canon 300D

More
16 years 5 months ago #55564 by cherylkarma
Replied by cherylkarma on topic Im intrigued
How interesting, first of all around the same time, a similar thing, plus I was out around the same time this evening, whats your location? I nearly got blown away myself, but the sky was clear here and there.

Regards Cheryl

More
16 years 5 months ago #55573 by gbyrne
Replied by gbyrne on topic Re: Shooting star?? 25th Oct
Im in Dublin, it would have been in a N-NE direction. I thought it unusual at the same time alright!

Equipment:
Celestron NexStar 8 SE
Celestron NexImage
Canon 300D

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds