K-Tec

Shooting star?? 25th Oct

More
16 years 6 months ago #53387 by cherylkarma
Replied by cherylkarma on topic It wasnt a shooting star.
Hi,

Just wanted to add my bits and peices regarding the large object that was seen on the evening of the 25th October at 7.19pm, we were driving west between Tipperary and Limerick, our eyes were drawn up and to the left by something streaking across the sky from left to right within the height and width of our windscreen. It looked to be in three pieces but not seperate pieces, it had a long tail and was glowing in the back from orange to red, with small bits breaking off as it crossed in front of us. It was glowing white at the front and yellow/orange/red at the rear. It went along for 10-15 seconds, with it finally disappearing behind some low cloud cover but still glowing white.

I also have looked around on the net and this is the only link/thread I can find with the small bit of info you have. What is a 'gemuinr 'fireball'' would I be correct to assume this is a misspelling?

There were no stars out but I believe the evening star had just appeared, the object was between it and the horizon. It was travelling really really fast, faster than a plane. But not as fast as the Leonids.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 6 months ago #53501 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: Shooting star?? 25th Oct
Hi all,

I think the word "gemunir" should be "genuine" :lol: ... at first I thought it was "Geminids" but Keith must have been typing so fast the letters got fumbled :lol:

Interesting reports folks. It would be nice to hear if anyone got a photo.

Back in August 2003 there was a brilliant fireball seen across the country. We collated hundreds of reports and many from the West Cork area had accounts of windows being shaken and a loud bang heard. Almost certainly a meteorite landed either somewhere west of Caherciveen or in the Atlantic.

Being a Tipp man, I was more than ashamed of a story in the Nenagh Guardian where one of their reporters saw the object and was convinced it fell in the Silvermines mountains near Nenagh -- they even helpfully placed an "X" marks the spot on a map on the front page of the paper to indicate where the meteorite "landed"!!! They were miles out unfortunately but I heard later that two busloads of people came out from Limerick to comb the hillsides after the paper's article claimed the stone would be worth millions to the finder :lol: :lol: :lol:

atb,

John

More
16 years 6 months ago #53522 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Shooting star?? 25th Oct

but I heard later that two busloads of people came out from Limerick to comb the hillsides after the paper's article claimed the stone would be worth millions to the finder :lol: :lol: :lol:
John

You don't really believe that John :lol: :lol: who would they have been :?:

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
16 years 6 months ago #53611 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: Shooting star?? 25th Oct
No, it's true Dave! The sister of one of the guys in the house lives in Dolla and she said they were talking to the group from the buses. One of the other locals said they might have been from UL but surely they wouldn't have fallen for the paper report :?

I said to the reporter at the time that to an observer the fireball might have looked like landing nearby but in reality it was just disappearing over the horizon. I used to have a copy of the front page article with the "Treasure Map" but lost the paper :roll:

More
16 years 6 months ago #53615 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Shooting star?? 25th Oct
John,
By any chance was there a young lad from Limerick there with two Obsessions as divining rods looking for the "treasurer"?
:wink:

More
16 years 6 months ago #53623 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Shooting star?? 25th Oct

I used to have a copy of the front page article with the "Treasure Map" but lost the paper :roll:

I remember that, you actually posted a link on these boards I think. I've done a search but can't find it. Maybe you actually e-mailed me the picture John?

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds