K-Tec

Clear skies in the east.

More
16 years 4 months ago #57394 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Clear skies in the east.
Swamped in cloud now :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pj30something
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
16 years 4 months ago #57395 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: Clear skies in the east.
The scout is a damn fine instrument for anyone (but mainly beginners/advanced). It is so simple to use and because it works off of GPS satilites....................it is very accurate. Basically it takes the hassle out of having to read star charts etc while out doors.

The display is red (for obvious reasons) and can be set to different levels of brightness. Even at its brightest.................it doesnt effect your vision. BUT i guess it depends on peoples eye sight. It may effect some more then others.

My only complaint about it (even though my girlfriend bought it for me.....and it is a nice gadget to have) is the price. If they cost of it was halved.............to say €250..................they would sell a lot more of them...........but then again there IS a lot of technology involved in it such as GPS, Gravity tilt mechanisms (so it knows how high or low you are holding it ,which side it is tilted to etc.) I just discovered tonight that it even has a thermometre in it and gives you the temperature of the surrounding air.

Also you can plug headphones in and listen to info about what you are viewing, it shows the lines (picture) of all the constellations,location of al
the satelites in orbit,you can hook it up to the pc and download the latest database files as objects are added to the already 6000+ list of objects.............blah blah blah.

So really when you sit back and think about it.................maybe the cost is not that high.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

• pj30something
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
16 years 4 months ago #57396 by pj30something
Stilll crystal clear here.

Paul C

More
16 years 4 months ago #57405 by wellbuttie
Replied by wellbuttie on topic Re: Clear skies in the east.
I have been setting up and aligning since 6.30 as it looked promising here in Waterford. The plan was to do some long exposures with the 500mm lens piggybacked on the scope, of Orion.

As soon as I was ready to go.... hey presto the clouds rolled in fast and thick!!!

Still overcast down here at the moment, however, I will hang on for a while just in case some of those clear skies make it down to the "sunny southeast"

Best o luck to the rest of you who have the starry night... .... I just wish they were here too!!!!! :roll:

Steve Roche
"Technology is a way of organising the universe so that man doesn't have to experience it."
steviestargazer.ivisionireland.com
www.deiseastronomy.com
photo.ivisionireland.com

More
16 years 4 months ago #57409 by michael_murphy
Replied by michael_murphy on topic Re: Clear skies in the east.
Just clouded over here :( Still had two hours of a clear (if light polluted) sky. Michael.

• pj30something
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
16 years 4 months ago #57412 by pj30something
You should all drive up to Killiney. I just checked and it is still clear as far ass the eye can see with no threat of cloud.

SO WHAT THE HELL AM I STILL SITTING INDOORS FOR?

Vodka tastes nice.

Paul C

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds