K-Tec

Hold onto your hats lads

More
16 years 3 months ago #58960 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Hold onto your hats lads
If I was off tomorrow, I head to Lahinch and watch the 30 foot waves hitting the coast, the poor car would be rusted away by the salt, who cares! :P

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pj30something
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
16 years 3 months ago #58962 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: Hold onto your hats lads
Sounds great Dave. I love lahinch. I was only there once but it was stormy as hell. The waves were amazing.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

More
16 years 3 months ago #58973 by Tonybwf
Replied by Tonybwf on topic .......
Ye iv heard bout the waves up there.....must put that on the 2do list down around the hook hd down here do be fairly rough "the graveyard of a thousand ships" as its known!!

Regards
Tony

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
16 years 3 months ago #58982 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Hold onto your hats lads
Skies are beautifully clear here at the moment but thats just a short respite, the winds are already seriously picking up and the showers are almost here. Yeah some lightning would be nice.

Tony: Yeah I'm right with you there on the storm chasing, that would be seriously cool. You'd want to be sure you were with vert experienced chasers though.

New years day 2005 I almost got caught in a tornado. I was in a cemetary in south Dublin (Mount Jerome). Within the space of two minutes the weather changed from calm conditons to a raging tempest. I was sent running for my car which luckily was only 30feet away. I saw what looked like a black wall coming at me across the graveyard. I just slammed the car door shout when it hit. The back of the car literally lifted off the ground. I saw some poor sod outside and I kept honking my horn to get his attention to get in the car but although he was less than 10feet away he couldn't hear my car horn over the storm. Lightning danced around me in every direction. I saw (what I know know was the funnell of the tornado pass) maybe 200-300feet away (hard to be precise). I was genuinly scared. Within 10 minutes it was pretty much all over.

When I got to my dads house about 1/2 hour later they were talking about two tornados. One in south dublin and the other around blanchardstown/clonee. The second one overturned cars. Damn, the first one very nearly overturned mine, with me in it!!!

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

• pj30something
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
16 years 3 months ago #58983 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: Hold onto your hats lads
Damn Dave that would scare the beejaysus out of the bravest person. It reminds me of the day my nephew made his communion. We went to the zoo afterwards (as you do). It was a nice sunny day and out of nowhere a supercell cloud burst into life. Ive never seen the sky so dark,Thunder roaring right above our heads, lightening to beat the band and hail stones the size of peas.

We could only take shelter under a tree (either that or lay flat out on the ground and get pelted to death by the hail). There was about half an inch of hail on the ground by the time the storm died out. The most frightening part of it was the noise of the thunder...........couldnt hear yourself speak.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

More
16 years 3 months ago #58991 by Tonybwf
Replied by Tonybwf on topic .......
Ye there some good adventure holiday websites....i check it out alot a while it aint cheap but it would be worth it i think, watching it on tv and that it seems fun id love to see that sort of weather i find it very intresting

Regards
Tony

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds