Observing at cosmos 2008

• dave_lillis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
16 years 3 weeks ago #66130 by dave_lillis
Observing at cosmos 2008 was created by dave_lillis
Many thanks to the lads who made Observing at Cosmos possible on Saturday night, after a little trouble with the obsessionator with a loose bolt supporting the primary mirror which was fixed using a spanner from Bob (many thanks Bob), we had a good long night starting around 10.30 and finishing around 4.40.

Here is a list of what we had a look at through the scope
whirlpool galaxy, M3, M4, M5, M9, M10, M12, M13, M14, M35, M53, M64, M65, M66, M80, M81, M82, M85, M92, M99, M104, M107, M108
and many many galaxies in Virgo, so many it was almost impossible to be certain what we were looking at, but I do distinctly remember finding 2 interacting galaxies near M58. Looking at a good atlas today I've pinned these down as ngc4567-4568, aka the Siamese Twins, these 2 galaxies were easily seen joined together.
At one stage we had 9 galaxies in the field of view at the same time (I need to bring a better atlas next time).
At the end, we finished up with the ring nebula, veil nebula and stopped at Albireo in Cygnus, at this stage the sky was brightening in the east so Michael and I decided to call it a night.
Thanks to Ken for letting us have a look through his 16" lightbridge earlier on in the night, its a fine scope and showed some great views of M51.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 3 weeks ago #66138 by Petermark
Replied by Petermark on topic Re: Observing at cosmos 2008
If anyone wants a free chart of the Virgo Cluster you can get it here:

media.skytonight.com/documents/PSA_Chart_C.pdf

(Sky & Telescope released it free to correct a minor error in early editions of their Pocket Sky Atlas.So it's ok to download and print.)

They also released another chart free for the same reason:

media.skytonight.com/documents/PSA_Chart_55.pdf

Mark.
Anybody who says that Earthshine is reflected Sunshine is talking Moonshine.

More
16 years 3 weeks ago #66148 by dogstar
Replied by dogstar on topic Re: Observing at cosmos 2008
So not much observing done then Dave :D
Now that's what i call a productive night and
thanks for the report Dave.

oh wise man why is the universe so perfect?ah because symmetry loves herself.

11" sct,
various Apo refractors,
various cameras,
Losmandy mount.

More
16 years 3 weeks ago #66152 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Observing at cosmos 2008
Plenty of observing myself, despite not being out as late as Dave and Mike! The amount of telescopes on display was great, and at least 20 folks partook in the observing, with some others coming and going. The helicopter 'thing' was an experience. I've got some photos from the night I'll post up here soon.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
16 years 3 weeks ago #66160 by Calibos
Replied by Calibos on topic Re: Observing at cosmos 2008
Bloody typical!! The Weather Gods Stymie me no matter what.

Was all set to pop down on the Saturday night earlier in the week. Would have taken some organisation in work and chopping and changing shifts. I wouldn't so much have been going for the Lectures, cause I am afraid being so new to the hobby, it would all be way over my head. I would have been going moreso for the Observing session and to meet you guys.
Well when I saw the forecast I never bothered re-organising work and shifts. Come Saturday morning when it was too late to organise anything of course the Sat images showed the prospect of beautiful skies. Typical!! :D

So you can thank me for the Weather. Had I gone, you could be guaranteed it would have been cloudy. :D

I definately make the effort for Whirlpool.

Keith D.

16" Meade Lightbridge Truss Dobsonian with Servocat Tracking/GOTO
Ethos 3.7sx,6,8,10,13,17,21mm
Nagler 31mm

More
16 years 2 weeks ago #66220 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Observing at cosmos 2008

Bloody typical!! The Weather Gods Stymie me no matter what.

In retrospect, I can't remember the last time BOTH nights at a Cosmos event were washed or clouded out. We always seem to have at least one night where we get some observing in.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds