Advice on purchasing Large Binoculars

• scfahy
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
3 years 6 months ago #109583 by scfahy
Replied by scfahy on topic Advice on purchasing Large Binoculars
I couldn't find an App called Gas Giants. Would you have a link for that.  Here is my equipment and I have the Nikon 8x42 on top for comparison.  I must get a  Strap to hold the two binoculars together, or see if there's a heavy duty bracket that would hold them together.  The setup only takes 5 minutes and just did some focusing of each eyepiece as both are IF Binoculars. I'm going to get the Celestron  Smartphone holder so I can try taking some images.  Ive joined a Face Book group for Smartphone Astrophotography and it's remarkable some of the images taken with a good Smartphone camera. Just need a clear night now to start some observing.
Stephen.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158, Until_then-Goodnight!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 6 months ago #109587 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Advice on purchasing Large Binoculars
Lovely job Stephen, I have a similar set up, enjoy those nights with them ! I would recomend startign aroung the constellatio Scutum with these, not too hihg up in the south at the moment, packed with starclusters and rich milkyway fields. 

I have a link here for the gas giants on iphone if it helps:

apps.apple.com/us/app/gas-giants/id397831483

Keith.
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158, scfahy, Until_then-Goodnight!

• scfahy
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
3 years 6 months ago #109592 by scfahy
Ill give Scutum  a Try out next time weve a clear night.  I was just checking it in Stelarium and theres  a lot to see there.  I was out for a couple of hours this evening as it was the first time I got  to use the Binoculars with the Parallelogram.    I was working my way around   Ursa Major,   Auriga and Taurus attempting to do some Star hopping using  Sky Safari, but to be honest i found it awkward to use and doesnt  really point in the correct  part of the sky but i was able  to figure out.  Id probably be better off with printed Star Charts   or have one of the Binocular  Viewing  Books to hand.  Im sure once I familiarize myself with one Constellation  I can then jump across to another one.    I think this will be the best part of using the Binoculars, discovering the Night Sky  and building up a knowledge of the  Constellations, Asterisms and Galaxy locations without needing my  GoTo Mount that ive used in the past on my  CPC800.
regards
Stephen 

More
3 years 6 months ago #109599 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Advice on purchasing Large Binoculars
Yes keep at it, what you can do is simply start with something bright, say Jupiter, the Moon, the Pleiades. Just align the centre of the binoculars to any bright object and it should be in the field of view.

One thing is to make sure the height of the binos are equivalent to your eyes. You won't go far wrong. Even after a while, you won't need star charts that much ;-)

Keith.
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158, scfahy, Until_then-Goodnight!

• scfahy
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
3 years 6 months ago #109611 by scfahy
Ive managed to have a  couple of nights of observing  and taking your advice about familiarizing myself with  a few Bright Stars.   I can easily identify the  Plough  and its Stars,  Capella,  Vega, Arturus , Castor, Pollox,  Aldebaran  easily in the night sky so il can work around these for the time being.    I was also looking at Cassiopeia last night through the  haze of Fireworks for an hour before it clouded over.  With it being so high in the Sky  i woke up with a very sore Neck  as I have had   Disc problems in my Neck and back.      That makes me realize Ill have to get a  Binocular  Telescope at some stage with the 90Deg EyePiece angle  for viewing at the Zenith.  I also read about getting  a Zero Gravity Chair or a  Camp Chair/ Recliner to lie on when looking at the zenith, reading through the   Cloudy Night Binocular Forum.
Thank You
Stephen 

More
3 years 5 months ago #109629 by RandomPillars
Replied by RandomPillars on topic Advice on purchasing Large Binoculars
Hi Stephen. You dont even need preexisting back problems to feel the pain in that situation. But an old deck chair is perfect for looking straight up. Binoculars are a great piece of kit for an amateur enthusiast, especially when adding even a cheap tripod to keep them dead still.

Enjoy!!

Sean
The following user(s) said Thank You: scfahy, Until_then-Goodnight!

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds