Wish list

• Bill_H
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
19 years 2 days ago #11461 by Bill_H
Replied by Bill_H on topic Re: Wish list
Thanks guys! Most informative advice from everyone. The amazing thing is, when I find something that may be helpful to me, it seems to open up a whole new field of possibilities and work. I don't mean that in the negative sense, but the positive. By asking a simple question/s on this board, I learn more than I would have expected to. Thats what makes this place great for me.
Thanks as well for the advice on the high precission mode Michael, I didn't know it was there!!
Thanks all, it's very much appreciated. I think by the time I get all this feedback looked at, my accessory list can be shrunk somewhat.

Bill H.

Astronomers do it with the lights off.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Bill_H
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
19 years 2 days ago #11462 by Bill_H
Thanks guys! Most informative advice from everyone. The amazing thing is, when I find something that may be helpful to me, it seems to open up a whole new field of possibilities and work. I don't mean that in the negative sense, but the positive. By asking a simple question/s on this board, I learn more than I would have expected to. Thats what makes this place great for me.
Thanks as well for the advice on the high precission mode Michael, I didn't know it was there!!
Thanks all, it's very much appreciated. I think by the time I get all this feedback looked at, my accessory list can be shrunk somewhat.

Bill H.

• Bill_H
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
19 years 2 days ago #11463 by Bill_H
:shock: How did i do that?? :? :?

More
19 years 2 days ago #11466 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Wish list
How *did* you do that?

As it happens, someone on the DSI website asked the same question as you. Stephen Hamilton (ver knowledgeable and respected) answered as follows:

looking to buy a DSI and would appreciate info on additonal hardware
needed. Will be using a LX-90 meade. Looking for suggestions on focal
reducer etc. What all do I need.

To start out, you really don't need anything else, you are set with the LX90 and your PC, but I will cover a few things here:

The PC:
1) USB 2.0 ports. If your PC is 1.1, then you will need to get a USB 2.0 hub. For a laptop, this can be PCMCIA card or you can purchase an external powered hub. I have the card for my laptop and it is powered off of one of the 1.1 ports but others have had some trouble with this so you may want to get a power cable for it at any rate. BTW, preferably, this should be a laptop unless you have an observatory.

2) For software, you are essentially ready to go also but I would recommend that you get PhotoShop for image processing, at least for the final processing. You can download the FITSLiberator plug in and it will read all the FITS types that the DSI Software can export.

3) Be sure to download the latest updates from the Meade Site for the DSI software, the one on your disc will most likely not be the latest.

Scope:
1) Many objects will have a tough time fitting completely on the CCD chip at F10, so I would recommend that you get at least a 6.3 focal reducer and possibly a 3.3 as well. Not only will these allow you to image larger targets but will also lessen the noticeable star drift.

2) For DSO imaging, a wedge really is a must. It is true that you can take 30 second exposures without one, but if you go beyond that, you really will need a wedge. The Meade wedge for the LX90 is pretty good, not great, but a good price and it will get the job done.

3) Not a must by any means, but an electric focuser will make life much easier. The 1206 (you can find these on Astromart all the time) will work well with the LX90 if you have the 909 APM.

• Bill_H
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
19 years 2 days ago #11468 by Bill_H

Bill,
3-5. The astrometric eyepiece IMHO is the one to get of the three. For it to plug into the LX90 you'll need the APM - accessory port module.

Michael, A query here just to make sure I understand properly: I have seen the APM advertised, but put that to the bottom of my list as there are two auxilliary ports on the LX90, will neither of those work with the astrometric eyepiece? If not, do you know what their function is?
Many thanks,
Bill H.

More
19 years 2 days ago #11469 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Wish list
Guys,
Keep in mind that the astrometric eyepiece uses BATTERIES, it doesnt get power from the telescope, unless you modifiy it like I did.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds