K-Tec

Celestron C80ED-RGT Refractor

More
18 years 10 months ago #12449 by keithke
Replied by keithke on topic Re: Celestron C80ED-RGT Refractor
Another scope that Celestron are bringing is a 60/80/102mm short tube refractor, the SLT series which replaces the GT series:

www.celestron.com/prod_pgs/tel/nx_slt_index.htm

It is due out before the end of the month.
Cheers,
Keith

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 10 months ago #12450 by spculleton
Replied by spculleton on topic Re: Celestron C80ED-RGT Refractor

gnason wrote:

Personally, I wouldn't pay too much attention to a review of a product which that same entity sells. However, mabey that's just me. quote]

Michael,

That's an unfair and totally unjustified remark Michael. Did you read my review? As an experienced observer and owner of a variety of telescopes over the years, including an Orion 80ED, I felt quite capable of writing a unbiased review of the very similar Celestron 80ED. Gordon

Gordon,

I think you're overreacting to a reasonable point made by Mick. He's not shooting the message, nor even the messenger, but bringing something up that could be a concern. No one has, or can, question your ability as an observer. You are, in my estimation, one of the most capable observers in the land, someone who acts as an inspiration to many of the rest of us. Your ability to write is also well established. Mick never questioned that. Do you honestly believe though, that if you had an unfavourable experience with the Celestron and wrote a scathing, though fair, criticism of it that the review would have been published? I certainly don't think so. A&S should do like S&T and the new Sky at Night mag have done and provide capsule reviews of alternatives alongside main reviews of selected items. It won't do so for various reasons, which, in my estimation, detracts from the integrity of any reviews it contains.

This board has provided a place for a free expression of ideas and opinions (within reason) for over two years. If we can't express concerns about any entity involved with our hobby then this board is useless and should be closed. I am not about to reopen an argument and will not respond publically on this off-topic issue. If anyone wants to take me up on anything here then either PM me, email me, or whatever.

Shane Culleton.

Dozo Yoroshiku Onegai Shimasu

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
18 years 10 months ago #12453 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Celestron C80ED-RGT Refractor

Another scope that Celestron are bringing is a 60/80/102mm short tube refractor, the SLT series which replaces the GT series:

www.celestron.com/prod_pgs/tel/nx_slt_index.htm

It is due out before the end of the month.
Cheers,
Keith

Keith looking at he specs it says nothing about the optics. I am taking it that the 102SLT is an achromat. I think you would be far better off with the 80ed Apo or the 100ED apo (if your budget stretches to that). Most importantly dont rush into a decision, with the summer time upon us your not gonna get much use out of it until august anyway. WHy not use the off period to think carefully about what you want to do and talk about the options.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
18 years 10 months ago #12454 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Celestron C80ED-RGT Refractor

Michael,
That's an unfair and totally unjustified remark Michael.
Gordon

Gordon,

I'm in no way questioning your ability to review a product. My concern is how the whole thing is perceived. To me, it'd be like having Telescope House providing a review of a Meade LX200 on their website. Do you see where I'm coming from? Lots of telescope retailers, particularly in the US, have so-called "customer reviews" of products which makes them out to be the most amazing thing sliced bread and which rarely address the problems with a product. Whenever I see any retailer, whether that be A&S Ltd or Telescope House or OPT or whoever, providing a review of a product they are selling, I automatically feel there's a conflict of interest which, to me anyway, greatly diminishes the significance of the review. However, that is just my perception. It's nothing personal to you Gordon whatsoever. Does that clarify where I'm coming from on this Gordon?

(FWIW, I would actually be interested to see the review, especially if it has notes on how it compares to the Orion. If you want to post it up here, I'm sure it would be appreciated by all.)

Clear skies,

More
18 years 10 months ago #12455 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Celestron C80ED-RGT Refractor

Michael fair question. You must keep in mind that I am not connected with the A&S shop in any way. I just write the sky diary for A&S magazine! Let me put it this way. I have suggested to A&S that they advertise it in the magazine. I even suggested a good wording for the ad. What A&S does with my suggestion is not my call in any way. I do suspect however that you will see this advertised in the magazine though. Now I'm just mentioning this because Keith is looking for a piece of celestron kit, like most im fed up with AI related threads too so lets keep this one to Keith's topic pls. Maybe if you have further questions pls PM me and I'll try to answer.

Fair enough Dave. Thanks for the honest reply. You can only do so much. Hopefully your suggestion will be taken on board and everyone can enjoy reasonable prices. We'd all love to have a dealer so close to home which we could all deal with.

Clear skies,

More
18 years 10 months ago #12456 by keithke
Replied by keithke on topic Re: Celestron C80ED-RGT Refractor
Hi Dave,
Thanks for the advice. I am actually getting this scope for it's portability so that i can bring it on holidays with me.
Keith

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds