Celestron C80ED-RGT Refractor

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
18 years 10 months ago #12433 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Celestron C80ED-RGT Refractor
Keith,

As the other guys suggested the celestron OTA is the same one as the skywatcher and orion scopes. They all come from the syntha. There is also a 100ED available at the moment the 100ED is only available with the CG5 mount. However I undersdand it will also be available as an OTA only real soon. As for the CG5 mount I was looking at one last night with a C11 perched on top. When the guy took the C11 ota off the top I had a good old swing on it. It really seemed very solid. Now I'd be the first to admit that I have no idea how it would perform on photography. The C11 owner hadnt put it through its paces. I for one would be very interested to see how it performs at photography with a C11 on top. For the money it all seems like good value. I've used the OTA albeit briefly and it all seems very nice.

Now a little 'inside' info I heard. Dave Moore at A&S is just about to introduce a 'price match' deal. He says he will match or beat any price you can get from a UK or irish dealer on any celestron product to anyone. Just though i'd mention that.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 10 months ago #12437 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Celestron C80ED-RGT Refractor

Now a little 'inside' info I heard. Dave Moore at A&S is just about to introduce a 'price match' deal. He says he will match or beat any price you can get from a UK or irish dealer on any celestron product to anyone. Just though i'd mention that.

Just curious Dave. Will that be something he'll mention in the mag or will he list one set of prices for the unsuspecting and another list for those who're able to price around?
(BTW, I'm not trying to start yet another row. Sick and tired of them to be honest. However, I do think it's a question worth asking. Don't know if you'll be able to answer it though.)

More
18 years 10 months ago #12438 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Celestron C80ED-RGT Refractor
A fair question, thats what I was also thinking!

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• DaveGrennan
More
18 years 10 months ago #12443 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Celestron C80ED-RGT Refractor

Just curious Dave. Will that be something he'll mention in the mag or will he list one set of prices for the unsuspecting and another list for those who're able to price around?

Michael fair question. You must keep in mind that I am not connected with the A&S shop in any way. I just write the sky diary for A&S magazine! Let me put it this way. I have suggested to A&S that they advertise it in the magazine. I even suggested a good wording for the ad. What A&S does with my suggestion is not my call in any way. I do suspect however that you will see this advertised in the magazine though. Now I'm just mentioning this because Keith is looking for a piece of celestron kit, like most im fed up with AI related threads too so lets keep this one to Keith's topic pls. Maybe if you have further questions pls PM me and I'll try to answer.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
18 years 10 months ago #12444 by gnason
Replied by gnason on topic Re: Celestron C80ED-RGT Refractor

Personally, I wouldn't pay too much attention to a review of a product which that same entity sells. However, mabey that's just me. As for shopping around, from what I recall Any McCrea is a Celestron dealer. I doubt if anyone will be able to beat him on price. I'd send him an e-mail if I were you and enquire.

Michael,

That's an unfair and totally unjustified remark Michael. Did you read my review? As an experienced observer and owner of a variety of telescopes over the years, including an Orion 80ED, I felt quite capable of writing a unbiased review of the very similar Celestron 80ED. In fact, at the same time as reviewing the Celestron 80ED, I carried out a side-by-side comparison with my Orion 80ED and posted this to one of the most prominent astronomical Yahoo Groups, Talking Telescopes, before the A & S review even appeared in print. I can assure you I would not have dared do that if my review was biased in any way.

In my opinion, the Celestron 80ED I reviewed was optically superior (although marginally so) to my Orion 80ED. Build quality was better (especially with regard to the lens coatings) but the Orion's focuser was nicer to use. I'll send you the TT comparison if you wish; in fact I may even post it here.

Gordon

More
18 years 10 months ago #12445 by gnason
Replied by gnason on topic Re: Celestron C80ED-RGT Refractor

As the other guys suggested the celestron OTA is the same one as the skywatcher and orion scopes.

I don't believe it has been definitely established that the optics are the same but they are so similar, it probably is true. However, the OTAs are most certainly not the same.

Gordon

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds